Guest paying deposits from outside Europe

If they don't like using Paypal etc. then another alternative is to ask for a cheque but don't cash it unless they cancel - give them it back when they arrive and take payment in cash.

We've never taken deposits in the admittedly short time we've been open - the amounts involved are generally to small to justify it - but we're thinking of doing so for bookings that are more than one room or one night unless we know and trust the client.  This is after a no-show from an American family who booked all our rooms for a weekend and then didn't have the courtesy to let us know they weren't coming.  What's your general policy on deposits?

Phil

Wherever feasible I take deposits Cassis.  I learnt the hard way during my first season when I lost about 900 euros worth of business in no-shows - one being an American who had booked for 7 nights, then phoned up to say he'd decided to stay in St Malo a bit longer so may turn up for a night or two later in the week but he didn't know which nights yet - can you guess my reaction?!!!

What I've started doing with US/Canadian visitors is to take a deposit if it is during peak season, even for one night but not if it is only a one or two nighter between March and mid-June - it's just not worth it and as long as I'm not full then so what if they haven't turned up - I haven't lost any money if I've still got empty rooms.  I do it through Paypal too.

Well all our no-shows (apart from one French couple) have been American.  I wonder whether they book themselves CdH in advance from the US because of the fear of not finding anywhere in a non-English-speaking country, then their plans change once they are here, they realise they can't "do" the whole of France in a week and consequently miss out some places.  As far as I'm concerned though, even if this is the case they could still phone - it's only polite after all!

Thanks for all your comments.

Most of our guests stay a few days or a week so the deposit is quite important to us.  Interesting to hear peoples experiences of american no-shows - will bear that in mind.

I expect like most others, our French bank account charges for any non-French cheques so trying to avoid that route as it eats into any "profit"!  Will look at Paypal although again it presumably means a charge/commission - am I just being greedy?

Luckily we have had american guests with UK friends who have paid the deposit into our UK bank on their behalf.

Have a great season!

Until last year we never asked for a deposit, we took people on their word. Last year we had several not turn up but more importantly most never contacted us and all had booked an evening meal.

We now ask for a deposit which consists of the full value of the meal plus a minimum of 25€ or 25% whichever the greatest of the room costs. We accept the payment via a French Cheque, Bank Transfer or PayPal. The only people who seem to have a problem with Bank Transfer are the English because most banks in the UK charge £25 as opposed to something like 5€ in the rest of Euro Land. We have also accepted cash sent registered post, in Euro’s of course. That was a clients suggestion not ours. So far I have lost one client (in 18 months) because of taking deposits and he was English and I had re-let the room within 3 days of him cancelling so it was not a big problem.

What I do love is some of the excuses for not turning up.

Phone Rings “Mr and Mrs X here, how far are you from Carcassonne Airport

The Wife “About one hours drive why?”

MR X “Oh so we can’t walk it then because I have arrived went to get the hire car and they won’t let me have it because I didn’t bring my driving licence, bl00dy cheek I have never had to show my driving licence for 25 years”.

I don’t know about anyone else but in 30 years of holding a licence and hiring cars all over the world I have never managed to get my hands on one without showing my driving licence so the three things I always double check are passport, tickets and driving licence.

Nice story, Quillan [:D][:D]

We're going to try a policy of taking 50% deposit for bookings of three room nights or more and see how it goes the rest of this year. 

We have got some more Americans already booked in later in the year for whom we've gone to a lot of trouble to get information on specific sights they are interested in, and they've taken the whole place over for a long weekend, so I hope they show!  I'll email them a fortnight ahead to make sure they are still on course.

Jude says she reckons St Amour has a point - a lot of people seem to underestimate how big France is and the time it takes to get around.

Phil

When we have bookings from Americans/Canadians/Australians I always ask how they are getting here and let them know the times involved.  Most seem to fly in to Paris and are amazed that we are good 6/7 hours drive from there.  We have also had American guests get up one morning and announce that they were going to 'pop over' and have a look at their friend's house in Provence this morning.  On finding out that it would take all day to get to Provence they were surprised to say the least.  So far we've had no no-shows (touch wood) but we have had a cancellation after I pointed out the times involved on the proposed itinerary which involved taking in ourselves, Barcelona and somewhere near Rome in 5 days!!  We don't generally take deposits but that seems to cause our French guests anxiety in case they don't have a booking, so may change the policy soon

Maggi

I know what you mean Maggi!  Even when we have French people booking only a week in advance, for one night, low season they really seem to fret if I don't want any money up front but I usually say no thanks because I'm pretty certain that they will get here before their cheque[:)]

We do find that the French seem to be the worst nationality for being able to follow instructions and find their way here.  However, I was most impressed with our guests on Monday night, who booked only three days beforehand and had no email so I couldn't send them any directions.  They took our address and phone number and said they would call if they needed help.  I seriously expected several calls from Caen (55kms away) onwards at regular intervals.  But they travelled from Dunkerque and got to within half a kilometre of us before having to phone for directions.[;-)]

[quote user="St Amour"]the French seem to be the worst nationality for being able to follow instructions and find their way here[/quote]

On winter evenings I've been seen waving a torch to guide some visitors in.  Some seem incapable of following the instructions, '100 metres after the church look for the green and yellow Gites de France sign on your left, next to the calvaire.  Turn left up the driveway next to the sign.'  The church is the most prominent building in the village; the Gites de France signs face oncoming traffic and are bright green and yellow, 30cm across; and the calvaire is a massive stone cross 7 metres high.  We also have lights up the side of the drive at night.  Yet I've seen visitors go sailing past and not return until about 5 minutes later. 

I'm thinking of putting up a big neon sign and a foghorn to mark the entrance plus another sign further down the road saying  LOOKING FOR THE B&B?  TURN ROUND - YOU'VE MISSED IT!!!

Phil

What about "I know you said second road on the left after the village sign and next to the Brocante, but that road looked like it might go somewhere else!"  and  "I know you said go over both rivers, but I didn't really think you meant that"  and the absolute best "It looked like we were in the deep countryside when we followed the instructions (still 25 km away) so we thought we were lost"

I am seriously thinking of laying a trail of crumbs from Toulouse airport - but if Phi1ll you can get a job lot of foghorns and neon signs perhaps we can all have some! [:D]

Maggi