Anyone got experience of owning a B&B in UK and France?

Maybe my question was badly worded.  I have the opportunity to change my life in the near future and am considering a B&B.  (And yes I do understand about the work/hassles/commitment etc as I was brought up in the hotel trade).  Being a single person, I can go where and when I want but don't know whether the rules and regulations in France would be more onerous than in the UK and as I would be going into the new venture on my own, would it be more sensible to stay in the UK. ( I do speak reasonable French and have been spending time in Brittany 3-4 times a year for the last 6 years.)   Any comments? 

Setting up a B&B in France can certainly be a much more simple matter than doing so in the UK but then that's only part of the story. Much will depend on how much money you need to make from it.  If your plan is to have a few visitors in the summer, enjoy the company and make a little pocket money, then, as long as you find you enjoy living in France all should go well with ease. If you need to make an income to live off then that's a different matter altogether and will be very hard to achieve on our own.

Thanks, Eslier.  I need a bit more than pocket money so really need to put a proper business plan together and work out if I can afford to do it in either country.  The problem is having the number of rooms to let and achievable occupancy rates means a decent size property in a good location and a serious amount of marketing i.e. a sizable investment.  I am having a look at a couple of businesses in the UK this weekend to see what you get for your money. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Icebird

Not sure that you still intend at looking at starting a B&B in France but one thing is for sure do your groundwork before you jump in the deep end!

We run a Chambre d"hote in a 150 year old former Lot Farmhouse with nearly sixteen acres of pasture and woods.In fact we are a Smallholding.Since we brought off English who had been in residence some 16 years little had been done in recent years to improve and restore the character of the House and Barns.To date we have spent well over 60,000 euro's much on improvements over a nine month period and will spend another 20,000 until it is the way we want it! All this on a 400.000 euro farmhouse which is paid for.

In addition in our area the purchaser pays the Agents commission in our case some 20,000 euros and by the time you take into account the Notaires fees and the French Government's cut that was another 21,500 euro's. French tradesman very in profession and if you can get them to turn up on the day agreed you will be doing well!...nothing new there...Frankly you have to argue the toss on many quotes....but then I'm half french myself!...otherwise our experience is you pay through the nose.I don't know about the "Black" trade that is rife but if you are by yourself you better be good at plumbing, carpentry, stonemason etc and a general jack of all trades!!

Negative comments...perhaps...but honest, far to many British/Dutch/Americans come here to France and think they can do what they like to properties and think Gites or Chambre d'Hote an easy option and rich pickings....it is not...it is very expensive and hard work....and that is with two of us working 24/7 sometimes 16 hours a day when working on rooms and guest with evening meals etc!....Run a B&B in France by yourself....best of luck you will need it!!