a room no matter how well aired it is.  Besides, they frighten my

cat."

[quote] Thankfully in France there is a huge choice of all sorts of

accommodation ,all levels all prices,I don't think that Miki needs

worry too much ,I don't really think that Deimos expects you to have to

go to such lengths to appease us awkward dog owners !![/quote]

But why should I worry ? We get by as they say [:D] Really think or

not, deimos did ask us if we would put the warning on our websites or

promotional material, or was he being ironic, methinks not !

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Only in Paris would a homeless man care about the flavor of the food for his dog."

Yes, Phil, and for a homeless man (SDF) his dog is all his life.  In Paris there is a péniche (barge) where they can go to sleep with their pet (I already mentioned this somewhere before), have a meal for themselves and their dog and a cabin for the night.

Here (Firefox permitting) you can see the story of Pascal and his beloved chienne Jessica.  While Jessica was on the péniche, she was checked over and they found she had a tumour.  Pascal felt lost, but thanks to generous donations Jessica was operated on in a top Paris clinic.  Above all, someone who saw the programme on "30 Millions d'Amis" has offered them a holiday in her home in Spain while Jessica recovers.  This, again, is an example of the French attitude which I love.

http://www.30millionsdamis.fr/FR/Dossiers/LaPeniche/index.asp?d=1

Nice story.  I'd like to think that if the same were reported in Britain it would receive a similar reaction - I believe that the British public are just as generous, if not more, when confronted by the media with stories of people, animals or whatever in need.  I wonder what are the respective amounts given to charity per capita? 

Phil

For a horrible moment I thought that they HAD to have a dog to take shelter there - thankfully not! 

I know the Mayhew Animal home used to do a Christmas and New Year programme for the London homeless and their pets (free checkover by a vet, de-worming, de-fleaing) along with St Mungo's but I don't know about all year round.  Do the Sally Army allow pets in hostels?

Phil

When some people at my pervious dog club were planning going to a distant agility competition they were going through some book finding a hotel/B&B/somewhere to stay overnight.  I asked what they did with their dogs and they commented that dogs are not a problem in French hotels/B&B/etc. – so I assumed that in the absence of anything to the contrary that it would be assumed that dogs are fine.

If you read what I said, then I suggested the importance of making it known to people that you do not accept dogs – and don’t just overlook it.  The comment was not directed at you Miki, but was a general comment.  If you already say it then great.  Sorry if you took my comment badly.  I thought it quite reasonable but it is so difficult to say anything on this forum now without getting “pointed comments” back.

It was a harmless comment and if it does not apply to you (or anybody) then for god sake just ignore it.

Ian

Deimos

"I thought it quite reasonable but it is so difficult to say anything

on this forum now without getting “pointed comments” back."

And I have been on extended leave for close to 5 weeks without posting

on the same threads as you, so it must be someone else that you talk

about. I have not noticed, please name these folks.

I realised it was not aimed solely at me but your request for B&B

owners to put all that info on our web site, I felt needed a reply from

a B&B owner who did not allow dogs. I did not take your comment

badly, I replied in a sensible manner that, in no way would I and,

perhaps other "no dogs allowed owners" be willing to put all that guff on our websites about the dangers of leaving dogs in cars in our car park .

Now do you have a problem in having replies to your posts ? Or is it, that you only want posts that agree with your thoughts ?

My comment was that non dog owners may not be fully aware of the problems of temperature, dogs and cars.  Before I owned a dog it was something I was not particularly aware of.  My suggestion was only to point out that if somebody turned-up to your place with a dog having assumed it was OK (as some French people certainly do make this assumption) then it could be difficult.

What I said was "I would thus encourage anybody who does not allow dogs to make this very clear to visitors when they book, in promotional material, web sites, etc. in advance." - referring to "If you do not allow dogs" that make that fact clear to people booking  Note that the sentence says "I would thus encourage anybody who does not allow dogs to make THIS [referring to "If you do not allow dogs”] very clear to visitors when they book, in promotional material, web sites, etc. in advance. [in advance meaning, in advance of their arrival]".

Here we go again.  Bring on the names, bring on the insults, bring on the accusations – I really could not care less after the last fiasco.

Ian

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

Whatever, we certainly see that you are back Miki...

Thought I'd just have a late look in before going to bed... and here we go again.  Some people never learn.

[/quote]

Perhaps you would like to elucidate about what I have to learn ? Is

it perhaps not to debate or answer a post when you feel something is

not right ? Or is it about judging someone, simply on the basis of what

another says, rather like someone with the same name as yourself.

One thing for sure, it was enough to put you to bed late, so what does that say about you ?

[quote user="Deimos"]

My comment was that non dog owners may not be fully aware of the problems of temperature, dogs and cars.  Before I owned a dog it was something I was not particularly aware of.  My

suggestion was only to point out that if somebody turned-up to your

place with a dog having assumed it was OK (as some French people

certainly do make this assumption) then it could be difficult.

What I said was "I

would thus encourage anybody who does not allow dogs to make this very

clear to visitors when they book, in promotional material, web sites,

etc. in advance.
" - referring to "If you do not allow dogs" that make that fact clear to people booking  Note that the sentence says "I would thus encourage anybody who does not allow dogs to make THIS [referring to "If you do not allow dogs”] very clear to visitors when they book, in promotional material, web sites, etc. in advance. [in advance meaning, in advance of their arrival]".

Here we go again.  Bring on the names, bring on the insults, bring on the accusations – I really could not care less after the last fiasco.

Ian

[/quote]

Jeepers,

What are you on about. I replied to a post that I did not agree with and you go off on a weird slant.

For goodness sake man, get real, all I posted was that I did not

believe that putting all that on ones website, was on....................You would thus encourage

and I said No...................................if one says no dogs,

that's surely our part of any contract fulfilled

........................................ .full stop !

Let's put in simple terms here, on another thread you say you are not

at all sure how things work here in France, can I propose to you then, that

you also have no idea at all how B&B's are operated here and the umpteen

ways we have to run things. Putting text on a website as you stated,

for a no dogs accepted B&B is certainly not a player. You can look

at thousands of websites with B&B's in France and I can tell you

now, you will not see one, who would put all that on

their website...why would they? A dog is an owners responsibility, not

the B&B owners, who even say they do not accept dogs in the first

place.

Now I have been polite, as were the other posts and I  have put it

from the viewpoint of an establishment that does not accept dogs. That

doesn't mean we do not like animals but from a business side, we have

learned the hard way, that dogs are certainly a no no here.

What is this names, insults ???  please show me that part. I do fear it must all

be in your head.

Again, read what was written rather than continually (deliberately ?) mis-interpreting what I said.

I am sick to death of having to clarify/explain my posts that are written in English to Miki.  Everybody else understands them fine but not Miki.  Or is this just back to what you were doing before your “holiday”.

More than sick of this and seeing a return to previous behaviour.

To clarify your failing memory, you posted calling me a “winger”, a “pillock”, etc. (and yes you made those references to me with my posting name Deimos) – the thread is now deleted despite your appeals to have them restored.  If you really cannot remember why you had a “holiday” then sorry.

Sorry Miki but I have absolutely no time for your behaviour and have no intention of “debating” the matter further with you.  I’ve endured it once but not again.  Just leave it.

Ian

No, it isn't nauseating, Christine. Just because people don't agree with you!

Deimos made a silly post (in the eyes of most of us) 'encouraging' B&B owners to put up signs telling people not to leave dogs in cars. Miki replied to that, very calmly. Ian then made another silly reply - almost a dummy spit, really.

And you wade in calling people 'nauseating' - a bit like you did when I pointed out your anthropomorphic tendencies.

You post a lot, but mostly about dogs. Ian posts a lot, quite a bit of it rather silly. Perhaps we should warn other posters to ignore you two, eh?

Quite honestly that last post of yours doesn't even belong in the junior playground.

Deimos,

I never asked you to explain. You posted something and I  replied

that your idea of putting info on promotional stuff and on our websites

was a certain non starter. Now how is that possibly having a go at you.

You say, Everybody else ?  So how many of them, have

B&B's and agreed with your idea ? And I am sure if you decide to

look at all the B&B websites in France by the end of this year, you will

still find, that no one will have that text on their website.

As far as the words on your last post are concerned, I am truly

sickened by your obvious want to return to the past, when my post was

honestly and simply coming from a B&B owner who saw things

differently to someone who did not know how we all operate. It was

certainly not I, who wished to bring it up but you (and Christine Animal) sure rushed in to

bringing it all up again, I find that really sad and seriously wonder

why.

I am truly amazed at all this and just because someone sees it differently.

I have to totally agree with Dick.

Is this me being slow/thick/naive or something?

This topic is about places where people can take their animals if staying overnight.

One B&B owner says that his establishment does not accept dogs.

A dog owner says that the B&B owner should publicise the perils of leaving dogs in cars for the benefit of non-dog owners who might turn up at his establishment.

This presumably is aimed at people who turn up at the B&B with somebody else's dog, and might be tempted to leave the dog in the car, not having enough sense to try and find another establishment that will accept the dog. Not exactly an everyday occurrence, so the B&B owner doesn't understand the need for doing so.

So the dog owners feel the B&B owner is being unreasonable in what he says. Surely it is the hypothetical B&B guests with the clandestine dog who are not playing the game.

Or, as I asked, are we missing something here?

(Posted as a B&B user, former B&B owner, and host to three dogs, so I have no axe to grind either way)

[quote user="Will "]
A dog owner says that the B&B owner should publicise the perils of leaving dogs in cars for the benefit of non-dog owners who might turn up at his establishment.
[/quote]

No, one dog owner said that B & Bs that do not accept dogs should make that clear to people in some way to avoid the situation where they arrive with dogs to find there is a problem.  It was Miki that insited on "mis-interpreting" what was written to twist it so he could objects/disagree with a post I made (yet again).  Dog owners are fully aware of dogs/cars/temperatures.  B & B owners who do not have pets may not be quite so aware of potential problems should prople arrive with dogs expecting that there will not be a problem.

Its simple really.  Just read what I wrote "I would thus encourage anybody who does not allow dogs to make this very clear to visitors when they book, in promotional material, web sites, etc. in advance."  Again for those with reading difficulties
I would thus encourage anybody who does not allow dogs to make THIS (i.e. that they do not accept dogs) very clear to visitors when they book, in promotional material, web sites, etc. in advance. (i.e. in advance of their arrival to ensure there are not problems).  Just read the words I wrote and please stop twisting them.

This is downright pathetic and well done Miki - you and your mates have well and truly pissed me off - your won.

Ian

Sorry, Ian, but you are selectively quoting. What came across in your post was that B&B owners should warn dog owners not to leave them in cars...

I thought Miki's response was reasonable, and yours was acceptable, and that Christine's was hysterically OTT. Will's seems sensible to me.

But we should bear in mind that both you and Christine were very much for Miki's ban (although as you told me it wasn't anything to do with you) and it just reads as though you want to drag all that up again. Presumably Miki is never allowed to disagree with you again?

It does seem there's some room for misunderstanding here.

"What came across in your post was that B&B owners should warn dog owners not to leave them in cars..."
That isn't how I read it. I assumed Deimos meant be sure to make it clear that you don't accept dogs.

Perhaps we could let htis rest now ?

Hoddy

This has nothing to do with Miki’s ban.  It has to do with a harmless comment I made about B&B owners making it clear to prospective clients that they do not accept dogs (as many/some French people assume that such places all accept dogs no problems).  Of course I did not expect B&B owners to start putting up signs about the dangers of leaving dogs in cars – get real Dick.

My comments were twisted to start an argument.  On reflection predictable.  It had to happen and to an extent I’m used to it as it used to happen a lot in the past.

Strange thing is MEK does not antagonise me on total France – mostly ignores what I post (or I get a nice polite response).  Why is it only here he needs to twist things.

Ian