Getting into Google

I am at a loss at why I cannot seem to get listed in Google. I use similar coding (meta tags, description and keywords) to those listed on the first page but have not been listed and have been trying for over 3 months. I regularly update my site and have tried to include the right mix of keywords in the key pages to still no joy.

We have managed to get front page listings on MSN and Yahoo so we must be doing something right.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards,

Mike

www.peak-times.com

Mike - you are listed on Google.  Just did a search for your site and it is recognised already.

Do you really mean that you aren't getting good results on your keyword searches?  What are the keywords you are targetting?

One posibility is that there is not a lot of text on your index page and I think your keyword density is low - Google does not take a lot of notice of metatags (I'm not sure the others do any more).  It likes text in the body of your pages.

Google is also not very good at finding relevant results compared to Yahoo and MSN.

If you search on Google.fr for:

"spa town of Bagneres de Luchon the Queen of the Pyrenees", one of the phrases on your index page,

you do get listed on Google at Pos 5.  Not very good but it has crawled you!

You can check your Google ranking for a number of keyword searches at once here:

Web Rank Checker

A lot easier than doing it manually.

Hope this helps as a start.

I read somewhere, that Google seeks and records, "forwarding" urls found in the sites that it trawls. The more often that somebody else refers to you, the more "it" is interested in you. When I created a site for my Am Dram club, it didn't get found by Google, then I got a link from the local music shop, town web and me and after a couple of days Google found it... so I suggest you see if somebody will add a link to you.

You're right, but Google already knows about Mike's site - in the absence of any further feedback from Mike, I think he's talking about his ranking in searches.

Inbound links (particularly those from pages with high PR) increase your PR on Google, which can affect how highly you rank - but it is more important to have your site optimised for your keywords.  Our site's PR is pretty crummy at just 3 but it ranks highly on all our keyword searches.  And it even did so when we had a PR of zero!

• 5 weeks later...

Many thanks for all the comments, I will take them on board of course. Many apologies for the delay in responding however we are now living here permanently and have only just managed to set up our broadband connection (my fault as I lost my password letter).

Regards,

Mike