tax

David

we are looking to set up a chambres d'hotes and I'm sure i read somewhere about letting rooms related to how much tax you pay. I cant seem to find anything else since. So I'm hoping somebody can shed some light on the situation. I think i read that if you have more than 5 letting rooms you would be classed as a "hotel" and will have to pay higer taxes.

If anybody has any info on this i would really appreciate it. As we are starting our building works soon, and need to confirm how may rooms i will need.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Hazel

[quote user="David"]

we are looking to set up a chambres d'hotes and I'm sure i read somewhere about letting rooms related to how much tax you pay. I cant seem to find anything else since. So I'm hoping somebody can shed some light on the situation. I think i read that if you have more than 5 letting rooms you would be classed as a "hotel" and will have to pay higer taxes.

If anybody has any info on this i would really appreciate it. As we are starting our building works soon, and need to confirm how may rooms i will need.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Hazel

[/quote]

Hazel, I'll move this thread to the B&B section.

Hazel...I  AM A NEW KID ON THE BLOCK but  opening a b and  b this summer....5 rooms max....then it is a hotel.

I have an accountant who speaks English  who will take us to the Chamber of Commerce when the times is right.

I believe that there are some new rules...so be careful.Where are you going to be?

I am sure that you will get lots of advise.

good luck

The legal definition of chambres d’hôtes is a room or rooms in the owner’s house for tourists staying one or more nights, including breakfast. Five is the normal maximum for the number of rooms. In some departments you may have six, but the sixth must have disabled access. If you offer more rooms than this, your business won’t be defined as a chambres d’hôtes by GdF, Clévacances or the tourist board and must comply with stringent fire and safety regulations in line with those for hotels, in accordance with the rules governing Établissements Recevant du Public.

The difference between CdH and a hotel is not just a matter of how much tax you pay; there are numerous other factors to be considered - it's a different business altogether.