swimming pool regs

Hi,

The B & B rules are that swimming pools have to be fenced and alarmed...........does this apply to above ground swimming pools also, mine is the octagonal splash pool with a ladder going up. My plan was to remove the ladder when not in use, we do have a fence between the house and the pool to ensure toddlers cannot roam to it.

It is about 1.5mtrs from the ground.

Thanks

Julie

are you sure its alarmed and fenced? I know ALL pools, be they private or Gite/B&B have to have some sort of security - an approved fence (not 10m high with high voltage and topped with razor wire - not good enough....), cover or alarm, or a combination of all 3. Yes you can have a picket fence, but you have to have an 'approved' system to run alongside that. This rule applies to 'in-ground pools'. If your above ground pool has a deck around it, you are treading on thin ice - technically, its OK, but if there is a problem, boy could the stuff hit the thingy! As far as I was aware, they are looking at suitable security for above ground pools, but havent decided anything yet.

Steve

The H&S rules do not apply to above-ground pools.

However, it makes sense to be as pro-active and remove as many opportunities for accidents as possible: remove the ladder when not in use, move all pots/seats/away from the pool so children cannot climb onto them to reach the water, use an approved cover when the pool is unattended...

We have an above ground pool and we simply take the ladder away and put it in our private garage. Once the ladder is removed then super human effort is required to enter the pool. If somebody wanted to 'break in' to our garage (which has a sign that says 'do not enter, private' in both French and English with an internationally recognized red circle with white bar across)  and take the ladder and enter the pool then drown then to my mind that's not our fault either. In short to do something in an above ground pool that is life threatening you would have to be either pretty determined or just plain stupid.

Thanks....thats a relief.........to find extra money to add alarms and fences was a worry!!

We have children of our own to worry about so the guests can be rest assured we will do everything in our power to ensure their safety when staying with us! We just want to be legal and within regs also.

3 weeks to opening and nearly fully booked on my first night....i have to keep reminding myself to breathe!!!!!! so so much to do!!!!!!!!

J [8-|]