which bedding

Hi all,

Couple of questions:

My B&B will finally be ready in about 8 week's and i have finally gotten down to thinking about the nicer things......[:-))]

Can i ask what sort of bedding you use? Do you use Duvets (lightweight) for summer (heavy) for winter....or blankets etc.....I know its personal choice but as you are all experts you will already know the pros and cons. I have already bought lots of white flat sheets and pillowcases and white towels. So my next step will be duvets and covers or blankets and bedspreads?

Not sure if it will make any difference but my guests will be mainly French.

Thanks

Julie

Duvets (got double ones (9tog + 4 tog) so we can have light/med/heavy)  - don't do top sheet as you have to wash the duvet cover anyway.  Extra blanket in the wardrobe plus a top sheet in summer, so people can chose.  One English (rectangular) and one French (square) pillow each place.  All white so no need to spend time matching stuff, with pretty coloured boutis and cushions to match the room.    Always tell people if the bedding is not OK just to ask (have reserve of sheets/blankets).  Buy cheapish pillows and chuck away frequently.  No feather pillows as too many people are allergic.

This has worked for us (now in year 5) and no complaints, and isn't as complicated as it sounds.  You need some of those bags which you can vacuum air out of to store spare quilts.

I agree with Cerise...........duvets of varying thicknesses and no top sheet.  In our 5 years this has worked well and we have more French and other European guests than those from the UK.  We've only once been asked for a top sheet!  White is a life saver when you have a lot of changes.

The hardest problem with bedding, apart from all the washing and ironing, is storing spare pillows and duvets.

Jan

Thanks so far..........prob go for the duvets then, do you use protectors on everything? pillows & duvet as well as mattress protectors...........not sure whether to buy waterproof mattress protectors or just normal ones?

Were do you tend to buy the blankets from?

Good tip about the storage bags, do they sell them here? i remember the lady i bought the house off trying to buy them with no luck?

Julie

[quote user="Barbel Bob"]

Thanks so far..........prob go for the duvets then, do you use protectors on everything? pillows & duvet as well as mattress protectors...........not sure whether to buy waterproof mattress protectors or just normal ones?

[/quote]

I don't use a protector on duvets and so far (fingers crossed) all's been well but do use an underpillowcase on pillows and an ordinary mattress protector as well as a cheapy terry sheet to keep things snug under the bottom sheet.  I wouldn't want to sleep on a waterproof mattress protector and only put one on a bed if I know a small child's coming to stay.

Jan

We all have waterproof covers on our matresses and that's at home !  ( I like a cup of tea in bed, or a glass of water in the night sometimes) They are 'breathable' and I'd have a mattress cover anyhow, for a little more, the waterproof covers are worth it.

They are not hot or crinkly any more.........[:)]

There is quite a good thread on mattress protectors here

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1139763/ShowPost.aspx

You can by in France, I did mention where in that thread. We also put an anti-allergenic cover over the top because the slight smell from the plastic/gortex can set people off.

We have a mixture of French and UK beds, I have found the French ones fit UK beds OK but not the other way round as you need to stretch them and the seams go.

All,

Knew it would not be long before I needed you all again................[:D]

Can anyone tell me where to buy divan valances from? the beds are English!

La Redoute have them but they seem quite expensive 40 plus for one, when i need at least 6 for two beds.......Carrefour and Le Clerc dont sell them?

My best bet would be UK sizes delivered to France?????

Julie

We bought all our bedding, including valances from the UK (via the internet) and had them delivered to France. If you are buying a lot it's always worth while asking for free delivery. They may not give a discount for bulk buys but are usually quite happy to give the free delivery. Well it's always worth a try, you never know if you don't ask.

• 3 weeks later...