Do owners provide towels?

liz

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Quillan"]

Funny enough we don't get a mobile phone signal in our house either. Perhaps the little box in the cellar has something to do with it.

[/quote]

Would that be one of those jammers that can only be bought from the states?

If so good on you Q!

A friend in the UK has one, he is very discriminate and discreet in using it, he reserves it for Dom Joly types on the commuter train and for when he holds meetings and people repeatedly receive calls on their mobiles and continue the conversation instead of asking to call back and of course turning off their phone before the meeting

A friend in the UK has one, he is very discriminate and discreet in using it, he reserves it for Dom Joly types on the commuter train and for when he holds meetings and people repeatedly receive calls on their mobiles and continue the conversation instead of asking to call back and of course turning off their phone before the meeting

Wow!  sounds like he's got a big ego! 

Mobile phone jammers are totally legal in France says the BBC ( http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/3738652.stm ) and you can find them by simply typing in to google "mobile phone jammers". I have an old one that I used on trains in the UK, totally unaware of course that they were illegal at the time [;-)] and has a range of about 5 to 10M. I use it now when I go out to restaurants etc as it is the size of a packet of fags and fits nicely in to your pocket. The one I have now is mains power with a remote on off button. It has a range of about 50M.

Back to towels.

At first, when we opened our B&B (in the UK), we placed towels on each of the beds.  It was dilemma time every morning, wondering whether they had been used and having to wash them anyway.

Now, we have a large central pile of towels in a main corridor for guests to collect if they need them (other than a hand towel, which is left in each bathroom).  We have found that far fewer towels are used and so have much less washing to do.

[quote user="Cathy"]Back to towels.

At first, when we opened our B&B (in the UK), we placed towels on each of the beds.  It was dilemma time every morning, wondering whether they had been used and having to wash them anyway.[/quote]

As a very frequent user of B&Bs (in the UK) I have often wondered about this towel on the bed thing. Why not put them in the bathroom where they belong?

Many B&Bs these days won't change towels daily and often have a notice up saying that if you want it washed leave it on the floor or in the bath - if not put it back on the rail.

Richard T

I think (only think) it may be a "these are on my freshly-made bed so these are my towels" thing whereas towels in a bathroom (even if en-suite) may give rise to a "are these mine..? are they clean?" thought. Towels in bathroom - where they're needed (assuming bathroom is not shared) makes sense to me.

[quote user="Catalpa"]I think (only think) it may be a "these are on my freshly-made bed so these are my towels" thing whereas towels in a bathroom (even if en-suite) may give rise to a "are these mine..? are they clean?" thought. Towels in bathroom - where they're needed (assuming bathroom is not shared) makes sense to me.

[/quote]

You lost me with the bit I've highlighted in red, Catalpa - you mean they may have left someone else's towels in your bathroom by accident?  Or forgotten to change them after the last guest?   Maybe some owners are that incompetent!

[:D] [:D] [:D]

I know of a French owner who claims she leaves all the sheets on the bed for the guest to make it up themselves "So they can see the mattress is clean". 

Ha! Ha! Ha!

[quote user="cassis"]......or forgotten to change them after the last guest?   Maybe some owners are that incompetent!

[:D] [:D] [:D]

[/quote]

Forgotten to change them after the last guest. Or just decided that they'd do for a second (or third or fourth) set of guests. Though I'm sure no owner posting here is that... forgetful... or devious. I hope. [6]

I do remember staying in a CdH years ago where the towels were in the bathroom and felt a bit damp. We spent about 10 minutes trying to work out if the bathroom was for our use only and therefore the towels were ours and they just weren't aired... or whether someone had already used the towels...[:-))]

[quote user="Catalpa"]

Forgotten to change them after the last guest. Or just decided that they'd do for a second (or third or fourth) set of guests. Though I'm sure no owner posting here is that... forgetful... or devious. I hope. [6]

I do remember staying in a CdH years ago where the towels were in the bathroom and felt a bit damp. We spent about 10 minutes trying to work out if the bathroom was for our use only and therefore the towels were ours and they just weren't aired... or whether someone had already used the towels...[:-))]

[/quote]

Ugh.  Would damp towels on the bed have solved the dilemma?  [:D]

[:D]

It all comes back to me now... we were in a small cdh located just south of Cahors alongside a fairly grotty tributary of the Lot river. The room was about 6 ft above the river - hence, I now suppose, the damp feeling to the room. We had to stay a day longer than we expected too... food poisoning. Though this, I am sure, was not associated in any way with the provision of damp towels. Although...[8-)]

Richard, I think that these days most establishments place them on the beds with the complimentary toiletries displayed upon them - this is what people usually expect to see when they first enter a room. It looks 'nice' and you would have people asking 'where are the towels?' if you place them elsewhere.

Changing the towels - fresh towels on a daily basis requires the budget to have enough towels to do so and, as Quillan pointed out, profits are not huge in this business. We change towels every second day and tell our guests so. If they soil the towels too much we change them anyway...some people are very hard on the towels - especially ladies who wear layers of makeup ( yes, we provide the little remover pads but...)

We don't place those little signs here, we tell our guests on checkin re the towel situation. I note that many people hang their towels up in the bathroom to dry in which case I take them and air them outside and put them back in the room when they are dry ( in between 'change days' )We top up the soaps and shampoo's on a daily basis though - if they are needed. Many guests bring their own though.

[quote user="Jura"]

Richard, I think that these days most establishments place them on the beds with the complimentary toiletries displayed upon them - this is what people usually expect to see when they first enter a room. It looks 'nice' and you would have people asking 'where are the towels?' if you place them elsewhere.

[/quote]

Answer, "In the bathroom, idiot". 

Never, ever, ever has anyone asked where the towels are - don't you show them the bathroom on arrival? [8-)]

I really can't believe that "most people" expect to find towels and toiletries on their bed.  However, I'm of an open mind and willing to be convinced.  Where did you hear that?

[quote user="Jura"]

some people are very hard on the towels -

especially ladies who wear layers of makeup ( yes, we provide the

little remover pads but...)

[/quote]

... yeah, tell me about it!  The little hand mitts are favourite for that! Sometimes wonder what they think the makeup removal pads or for (but I'm not a woman, so maybe you can enlighten me on that, as well).  [:@] [:D]

[quote user="Jura"]Richard, I think that these days most establishments place them on the beds with the complimentary toiletries displayed upon them - this is what people usually expect to see when they first enter a room. It looks 'nice' and you would have people asking 'where are the towels?' if you place them elsewhere.[/quote]

My knowledge of B&Bs in France is somewhat limited but in the UK my work demands that I spend half my life living in B&Bs. Of course my needs may be different from your average holiday maker but nevertheless after years of experience I have decided that there are a) very few bad B&Bs b) many good ones and c) very few excellent ones.

What differentitiates the excellent from the good can sometimes be difficult to articulate but it's definitely not "nice" touches (which to me often seem twee) but much more to do with the welcome, the atmosphere and a feeling of mutual trust.

However what is truly essential to even a good B&B is a super clean bathroom (much cleaner than mine at home [:)]) and a toilet seat that doesn't wobble when I sit on it. You would be amazed at how often this basic comfort is overlooked by B&B owners.

Richard T

They do not ask it here because we place the towels and toiletries on the bed - but having seen how many guests look first at the beds, the view out the window and then - for some strange reason - the ceiling (you go figure why!) I could guess what would be on their minds if they did not see towels displayed on first sight.

We bought a place without towel racks in the bathrooms - a small one to hang the floor mat that's all. So we place the towels on the beds.

We stopped supplying hand mitts after the majority 'went missing' - several ended up down the toliet...once again...you go figure why! I never knew this business required me being a psychologist as well.

But boy, I sure am one now![:'(]

[quote user="Jura"]

having seen how many guests look first at the beds, the view out the window and then - for some strange reason - the ceiling (you go figure why!) I could guess what would be on their minds if they did not see towels displayed on first sight.

[/quote]

I'm lost.  Why are they looking at the ceiling and what would be on their minds if they did not see towels on the bed?  Seriously.  [8-)]

I meet people who have heads I could not, or would even want to, get inside so you tell ME for gods sake!

We don't advertise mirrored ceilings so...

We have stayed in a wide range of hotels and B&B's across the UK and Europe - towels are always on the bloody bed. Period.

God knows what is on some people's minds. Like I said - YOU go figure!

Still lost...?

Seriously...!!

Aren't you the one who sniffs the sheets when you enter a room...? I knew a bloke addicted to sniffing bicycle seats - unfortunately he tried it once before the rider dismounted - very bad scene...

[quote user="Jura"]I knew a bloke addicted to sniffing bicycle seats - unfortunately he tried it once before the rider dismounted - very bad scene...[/quote]

That sort of person was known as a "snoob" in the old TV series "It's a square world" (if anyone can remember back that far......[:D]

I don't need TV in my rooms, I think I'm taking part in some surreal play.  I've got an elderly entomologist and his wife in one room, making a collection of dead bumblebees and beetles (honestly)!   In the attic are a lot(I think 5 but from the noise it could be 25) of vintage Spanish motocross riders.  They are shouting loudly in languages I don't understand.   For the past few days we have had a Canadian lady with Aspergers and her mad professor husband - perfectly pleasant but bonkers, walked round using ski poles all the time. One of my husband's Indian cousins has taken up residence in our spare room.  It is fête weekend in the village and I've turned away 5 sets of people today.  More motorcyclists (don't know what nationality - but reliably informed they don't speak French or English) tomorrow and on Monday it is all change for a family with 3 young kids, Mr & Mrs Rose Tinted Specs Househunters and Mr & Mrs Perfect Parisiens.  I'm changing towels at such a rate I just hurl them through the doors of the rooms and they land somewhere.  I don't care because I've got to hurtle back downstairs and concoct meals for a load of people who don't know what time they'll be here for meals and are vegetarian/allergic/fussy/pain in the backside.  I've forgotten to order the croissants for tomorrow morning and Martine at the bakery gets a bit vicious if you do that (do you think I can send Mr Cerise?) and tomorrow night I've got to go to the fireworks and stay up all night for the rock concert.

Why would we need TV in the rooms?  Real life so much more entertaining.