Guests treting B&B Like a picnic area

What is everyones policy regarding guests eating their own food in their rooms gardens etc

We serve evening meals in our renovated barn in the summer but sometimes when I go to set up I find other guests using it to eat their own crisps and sandwiches etc

Is it mean to put up a sign saying please dont consume your own food on the premises and if not how to I say so politely in french!!

Some French B&B's (CDH's) have 'Coin Cuisines' for guests to use, something like a microwave, two ringed hob and fridge, bit like you see as a combined unit in the Brico's. A some French people will picnic in the garden and sometimes in the room. I have just cleaned a room where the mother and daughter obviously had something to eat last night. If they were staying an extra night I would remind them we do provide facilities for picnicing. What we do is provide a fridge and picnic hamper which we control i.e. they can't go get it themselves they must ask, but we do tell them these items are available. I think its best not to ban them but to control them. I guess the worst fear is they spill a bottle of red wine on the white bedding which we have had happen once in the past, a nightmare to clean especially if they don't tell you.

We also have a terrace with tables and chairs where the guests who take evening meals with us eat. We have separate areas round the garden for each room which comprise of two sunbeds, two chairs and a table. This is where they are directed to if they are going to picnic. We tell them about the picnic areas when they arrive and encourage them to use them which should stop them from eating in the rooms.

I think its sometimes difficult not to view a CDH in France as one would a B&B in the UK but it is different in France and this is one area where things differ. We also don't mind them bringing in their own drinks (wine, beer etc) and again are happy to put them in the fridge for them and will provide glass's. Well I mean you can't sell alcoholic drinks anyway unless its with a full meal and you have the right licence so why not. Some people like a tipple before they head of to the restaurant.

I think to try and ban them is not in the spirit of a French CDH but thats my personal opinion.

[quote user="Quillan"]

I think its sometimes difficult not to view a CDH in France as one would a B&B in the UK but it is different in France and this is one area where things differ.

[/quote]

A friend of ours who has a B&B here has found this point most difficult to cope with; to the extent that she has lost French custom because she has no available area for guests to picnic nor a heat-your-own corner. She is against providing either of these facilities.

Sue

my problem is mainly eating in the bedrooms- crumbing bread sticks and then asking me to wash up the pots they have used!

plus our garden area isnt huge and I dont think it is appropriate for people who have paid for an evening meal to have people  in eye sight  people eating from a Super U Bag

80% of our guests choose to dine so it is a small minority and usually english speakers from US and Canada  but if i politley ask people not to eat on the premises I need to have a notice in french as well

I had having lots of rules and regs and appreciate comments so far

thanks

Why not simply put up a sign in every room saying no smoking, eating or drinking in the room. You can add this to the bottom of your tariffs which you have displayed in the rooms, that's what we do. If they then ask you to wash their pans remind them of the rules and refuse.

I don't think the other guests will really mind others eating in the garden away from them, its a holiday, its what people do from time to time. These people are paying you to stay at your B&B, if you are too hard on them they might never come again. They may give you a bad write up on something like Tripadvisor. You never know they might be thinking 'this is a nice place, the hosts are very amicable we will come back next year for a couple of weeks'.

As for Americans and Canadians you should take pity on them, its probably taking their life savings to come to Europe at the moment [;-)] .

[quote user="suein56"][quote user="Quillan"]

I think its sometimes difficult not to view a CDH in France as one would a B&B in the UK but it is different in France and this is one area where things differ.

[/quote]
A friend of ours who has a B&B here has found this point most difficult to cope with; to the extent that she has lost French custom because she has no available area for guests to picnic nor a heat-your-own corner. She is against providing either of these facilities.

Sue
[/quote]

Business must be very good for her so she can just accommodate 'foreigners'.

[quote user="P2"][quote user="suein56"][quote user="Quillan"]

[/quote]

Sue

[/quote]

Business must be very good for her so she can just accommodate 'foreigners'.

[/quote]

There should perhaps have been a 'most' in between 'lost' and 'French', which would better reflect her situation. Though it is true nearly all her clients are of non-French origin.

Sue