Just an enquiry.

jaydeez

We live in France in an old farmhouse. In the top of our house we have an attic room which is suitable to renovate to a lounge/kitchen/diner. one bedroom and en suite. There is no seperate access and people staying upstairs would have to go through our house to access upstairs. If we chose to renovate this area and let it out we have several questions.

1. Would it affect our house insurance for public liability. Would we need seperate insurance or up our house insurance?

2. There would be a kitchen upstairs in the apartment so would we be classed at chambres d'hote? We would offer breakfast if required, but people could also cook their own meals?

3. Where would we stand re tax if we were only renting out odd weeks and not a fully blown business?

4. What fire regs would we have to conform to, we would have smoke alarms and an extinguisner etc.

5. Would we need a hygeine course to provide breakfast?

I know this probably all sounds very basic to the professionals but all new to us and it is just a hyperthetical enquiry.

Many thanks for any answers in anticipation.

From what I have found out in the short time here.

You won't need a food hygiene cert if you are not cooking food so bread, croissants etc should be ok, spose you could argue the toss if you were to warm the croissants.

I have read the rules regarding tax but I have read that much on here in the past two weeks I can't remember where it is but the info is on here somewhere.  There is a financial limit before you have to declare it and it has to be less than a certain %age of your income before you have to regester as a business.  Sorry if it's a bit vague but I am still very learning lol.

[quote user="jaydeez"]We live in France in an old farmhouse. In the top of our house we have an attic room which is suitable to renovate to a lounge/kitchen/diner. one bedroom and en suite. There is no seperate access and people staying upstairs would have to go through our house to access upstairs. If we chose to renovate this area and let it out we have several questions. 1. Would it affect our house insurance for public liability. Would we need seperate insurance or up our house insurance? 2. There would be a kitchen upstairs in the apartment so would we be classed at chambres d'hote? We would offer breakfast if required, but people could also cook their own meals? 3. Where would we stand re tax if we were only renting out odd weeks and not a fully blown business? 4. What fire regs would we have to conform to, we would have smoke alarms and an extinguisner etc. 5. Would we need a hygeine course to provide breakfast? I know this probably all sounds very basic to the professionals but all new to us and it is just a hyperthetical enquiry. Many thanks for any answers in anticipation.[/quote]

Think about the phrase I have highlighted by italics, it answers your question, its an apartment therefore not a CDH.

Any income you generate in France must be declared to the tax authority but even so if you live here you should be completing a tax return. It depends on the rest of your income and where it comes from regarding if and how much tax you will pay but that's up to the tax people. You may also have to pay in to the French health and social system.

To be honest reading your post through several times and because there is no separate entry for people using the apartment I would forget that idea and make one or more rooms with small en-suite bathrooms (your be surprised how small you can make them with just a shower, toilet and washbasin) and run it as a CDH.