salon du tea

popeye

we are thinking of opening a 'salon de tea' in our village. Not quite sure where to start, we are in the process of renovating our kitchen, which would need to comply to health and safty standards. We need to know which organisation to contact for advice as to what we can and cannot have i.e stainless steel,tiling etc.

I have met with the Mayor who seemed to think it was a good idea for the village, but was not very forthcoming with information as to whom I need to contact. I will make an appointment with the Chambre d'commerce, but I just wondered if anyone else has any advice/experience of a similar project.

Thanking you in advance for your replies.

We started with the local architect, who liaised with the fire dept, health and safety etc etc. Don't forget if you are providing any seating you will need a WC suitable for disabled people. And any change to the outside of the building ie an extra window or widening a door to allow for wheel chair access will need the equivilant of planning permission. You will need to apply for at the very minimum a licence 1 from the marie to allow you to serve soft drinks. If you want to serve alcholol with food you will need a restarant licence from the local customs office which your marie must agree to.

Diana

Thank you for your reply Diana, I have since had a chat with our French Accountant (as my partner is a Carpenter), who proved to be very helpful indeed. He has given me the telephone numbers of the various organisations that I have to contact, in addition I have my appointment with Chambre d' commerce next week!

Many thanks for your reply, didn't think I was going to get any!!

Bernadette

Good luck to you then;I asked because in the part of France where I am(34) I have seen too many businesses close after only a few months.I have seen couples who have obviously sunk all their capital(and probably borrowings) into a small place and are just sitting there watching people walk past.

I have read this and would like to just add a few words.

Our nearest local village has two bars, rarely if ever is anyone in there out of the midday period, there area few but as with both bars, the owners husband has other work, one a sparkie and the other is a roofer.

In our other local village, there are 3 bars, 2 do a bit of trade and the PMU bar does better but nothing to write home about. Both villages are of a decent size but I would say that neither would stand a chance of supporting "a tea room". I am not sure how one would do market research on this matter, knowing how the French would probably answer nicely to be polite !

Our largest and nearest local towns are Saint Malo and Dinan and they are different affairs. They are huge tourist spots for a large part of the year and they could support a tea room I am almost sure, especially if it offered a varied style of teas, coffees and cakes etc.

Again though, it will be position, position etc and if it is a small town and position does not count for much, then my honest opinion, is that it would be too small and gaining a yearly income, it may well be a struggle. You will need to be where tourists will pass or preferably stop a while, as, in my experience, locals are not like "Eastenders" where they are forever popping in to the caff !

Good luck to you.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Good luck to you! We are moving to Monflanquin (Lot et Garonne) next year. I had thought about this sort of enterprise and had spoken to various people within the village to see if would be appreciated. I received quite good feedback, but in the meantime an English lady (Hi Jules) opened one. From what we have seen in the past year, she has worked hard and reaped the benefits. She is regularly busy during the summer months with customers of all nationalities, including the local French. Her shop is clean and bright. The snacks and drinks are good.The village does attract tourists so this must account for a lot of her trade. (I have no association with the shop, but do use it on occasion when we are there.)

Regards

Paul