How to buy a hotel in France and run it yourself?

We are both Australian, my husband came from Russia and I from Belgium so no problem with the french language for me, we would like to buy and run ourself a hotel in France, I tried to have some answers from the French Embassy in Australia but I have been given the roundabout, Brisbane office told me to contact Sydney and Sydney told me they could not answered any questions, I read on their website that to apply for a long stay visa you need to have papers like: a certicate form obtained at the Prefecture de Police of the area you intend to run you business in France and an agreement to sell from the previous owner. Those papers can only be obtain if you have already bought a business....I am confused!!! do I have to go to France buy a hotel and then apply for long stay visa? PLEASE HELP...

As you came from Belgium, do you still have Belgian citizenship? If so, you are an EU citizen and everything becomes much simpler. Try contacting the Belgian consulate/embassy to see what your rights are.

Sorry I can't advise if that doesn't work but most people on this forum are EU citizens, however you might be lucky and find someone who has face the same problems as you.

No when I became Australian I had to give up my Belgian citizenship as Belgium does not accept dual citizenship yet, I will need to live in Belgium for one year and then renonce my Australian citizenship before becoming an Belgium again, I do not want to renonce being an Australian as this country has done a lot for me.

• 4 weeks later...
Sorry, but if you gave up your Belgian citizenship and your hubby is Russian then you sound to be pretty well screwed as for achieving your dream in France the easy way. If you had retained your EU citizenship then the transition would have been much easier. I am Australian, lived in France for six years and still encountered many problems...only my partner being British as well as having a child born in France stopped me being deported. Why do you want to buy in France...?

Go to Belgium...they are far more civilised there...believe me!

Jura - good to see you back and great to know you haven't changed!  I've always enjoyed reading your posts as they always make me grin.

O/p, not everybody's experiences of France reflect Jura's but at least she doesn't see the place through the famous rose tinted specs,as you can see.[:)]

Hang on, Benjamin, FRANCE now has the honour of having Woolybanana as a pemanent resident, so what does that say about France?

Or are you proposing to have Wooly deported?  If so, what country do you think would give him asylum?

The OP is probably wondering what is going on.  Moving to France:  make yourself a long drink and start reading through posts on this section of the Forum.  There are several relevant threads that you would find helpful.  Good luck.

Cut and paste as my computer doesn't do links:

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/905/ShowForum.aspx

• 2 months later...
Hello

My wife and I used to run a hotel in the pyrenees - now we run a campsite in Denmark. We sold our hotel ourselves - didnt use an agent but we did naturally use a notaire.

I am a little concerned that you are being told that you will need some kind of agreement from the existing owner that he will sell to you.

As a hotel owner I would never have signed anything like that myself. French law is notoriously bad in this area and I certainly would not have agreed to a sale until the Notaire locked it properly down which would be hard if I understand your catch22 position properly.

It also sounds as if you are attempting to seal it all up from half way around the world?

Personally I think you need to get over to France for an extended period and get your feet wet, have a look at whats on offer and whether you like the look of it

If you are french speaking then you may well benefit from French trade - English only speakers can cut themselves off from a considerable amount of trade - ours was 95% French. If you do take on French clients though then I really hope one of you is either an excellent cook or a fast learner - I am not a great cook but my wife is - believe me the French dont take prisoners on the food front - Basil Faulty escapades dont cut the mustard. I will say that if you can establish a great reputation for great food then the French will love you for it. It can be raining and horrible but if you servre really great traditional French food then it works a charm and its smiles all around. Get training from a local, if you can say "I learnt to cook Garbure" from a local then it will stand you in good stead - my wife learnt from a competition winner - suffice it to say she was not challenged once she let the source of her training be known!

Just thoughts

J

• 2 weeks later...
After re-reading this I can see all kinds of problems for this couple - just being given the run-around by the french embassy should give them an idea of how frustrating french red tape can be...and how worse it can get. Why dont they do B&B in Russia...? I know of a B&B in Siberia, in the capitol whatever it is, cannot think of the name off hand, and it is American run would you believe. They made a killing during the recent solar eclipse there. Im interested to know what the continental breakfast would consist of...