Long term lets

Sued

Hi all,

This is our first letting season and it has been going quite well. We have recently had a request for a long term winter let.

I have looked in the archives of the forum and am trying to collate all the information I have found there.

However, it would appear that long term lets are not simple, but I am a little confused by one or two postings.

I am paranoid that they will end up as 'squatters' so I have some very basic questions. I keep reading about 3 year lets so are 6 months lets different?

1. Do I need a different tenancy agreement for 6 months or can I use the same one I have for the ususal 2 week holiday let?

2. It would appear that for whatever period you agree (e.g. 5 months) the tenants can stay in for 6 months anyway. Is this correct?

3. If this is a 6 month let do we need to give any notice to the tenant beforehand to quit the property (i.e. 3months)?

What have peoples experiences been. Have you found it a viable option or are the costs of heating etc and the tenants rights amde it too much hassle.

Thanks for any help.

Sue

Hi Sue

First question .. where are you in relation to your gite? Are you nearby?

>However, it would appear that long
>term lets are not simple,
>but I am a little
>confused by one or two
>postings.
>
>I am paranoid that they will
>end up as 'squatters' so
>I have some very basic
>questions. I keep
>reading about 3 year lets
>so are 6 months lets
>different?

Technically yes, you should draw up a different document but it depends who you are letting to and where you are. If you are nearby .. you have a fighting chance .. if you let to a family with children under 16 you could go through hell unless it's all properly drawn up. Tenants with children can claim 'anything'!!! You could find yourself trying to get them out for years.
>
>1. Do I need a different
>tenancy agreement for 6 months
>or can I use the
>same one I have for
>the ususal 2 week holiday
>let?

I use the holiday one .. modified. They have a monthly contract which can be extended ... this is for people without children.
>
>2. It would appear that for
>whatever period you agree (e.g.
>5 months) the tenants can
>stay in for 6 months
>anyway. Is this correct?
>
Not sure. However I take 75% of the monthly rental as an upfront deposit to try to stop that. Agreement to stay each month after the first has to be declared 10 days to me before the end of the month.

>3. If this is a 6
>month let do we need
>to give any notice to
>the tenant beforehand to quit
>the property (i.e. 3months)?

Not sure, but as I do a 'rolling monthly' rental I don't have this problem.

>What have peoples experiences been.
>Have you found it a
>viable option or are the
>costs of heating etc and
>the tenants rights amde it
>too much hassle.

No problems for me at all ... water, gas/electricity are worked out with the tenant, I still receive the bills and we work it out ourselves including the abonnement.

I may be contravening a French/EU law .. but this way it works and I am on hand to keep an eye on things!

Kira

LAST EDITED ON 24-Jun-04 AT 02:23 PM (BST)

Hi

Please don't take this the wrong way - I am not trying to infer anything about your "enquiry" - however we are also in our first season of renting out our gite and we received the following e-mail yesterday which we have chosen to ignore as we believe it to be seriously dodgy.

"Good Day,
I am david banks. I am the P.R.O of CAPITAL SYS.

I just mailed to let you know that we are interested in renting your cottage for some of our international employees coming over to france for a course programme for a peroid of 5 months.

I assume your cottage to be in a favourably good conditon.

We intend to rent any nice single or double room or any room size that is at your disposal.

Also,We want you to know that we would want to know your price range .Since we wouldnt want to bargain for anything more than the said price range.

Also we would want you to know that we intend on paying you through an french check.Our partner who resides in france will give you the cheque as soon as the neccessary negotiations have been concluded on between yourself and I.

I would love to know if your cottage is still available .
Thank you and have a nice day."

Hopefully it has nothing at all to do with the people interested in renting from you but I thought it would be as well to post it on here so that others can be warned.

I hope that the rest of the year goes well for you.

Su