Pyrenees winter bookings feasible?

bedders

We would dearly love to make 2005 the year of our move to the Pyrenees, anywhere between Tarascon in the east to Pau in the west.

Does the panel think it is feasible to expect some winter gite bookings in this area. Similarly, is it a strong area for summer bookings? So much is riding on this, as it would be a struggle to survive on July/August plus a few odd bookings alone.

It's a damn long drive from the UK (we've done it twice recently) but not far for the French from say, Tolouse.

Any opinions/observations would be most welcomed.

[quote]We would dearly love to make 2005 the year of our move to the Pyrenees, anywhere between Tarascon in the east to Pau in the west. Does the panel think it is feasible to expect some winter gite bookin...[/quote]

This is a subject that has been talked almost to death on the forum.

Can I suggest that you use the search function and/or just have a look around not just in the Gite bit but look at the finance section as well. You will find that information comes up in quite obscure places.  Can I also suggest that you use something like Google to search the area for gites to see how many there are, what time of the year they are open and what their rates are. I did a quick search on “Tarascon Gites” and had a quick look but got bored at page 17 so I think we can safely say that there are quite a few people doing the same thing and competition will be very tough unless you can offer something nobody else has.

We are in the Pyrenees, the first small mountain is under 1km away, last year we offered short ski breaks including all meals, collection from airport, drop-off and pickup from the slopes which are only 35 mins away and pointed out you can ski in the morning and sunbathe on the Med in the afternoon, result, zero takers, not even an inquiry.

PS. Just did a search on “gites pau” and there are even more.

Personally I would think very hard and do a lot of investigating before I made any commitment. Read what people have said about the Times posting under Finance as the UK situation could have an effect on the English owned gite market, some even think it might have an effect on the sale of gites.

Don’t be shy and phone some of the gites up in the areas you are looking at and ask them how they are finding things (lie about where you are looking otherwise they may give you duff information, tell them you picked them at random).

Sorry to appear a bit negative but it’s best you know now. There are also many good things as well, I just didn’t want you to think it’s all wonderful here, it’s the same as anywhere else really. Whatever you decide I wish you all best in France.

Hi there,

We are in the Hautes Pyrenees, in the center of the areas you are looking at.

I posted a reply in the sw france section yesterday, re income and weather in the hautes pyrenees, you may want to take a look at it.

There's certainly plenty to do in this area and the tourists as well to give you an all year round trade, but in the winter if you're more than ten minutes drive from the ski slopes forget it.

And as Quillan said doing transfers, well, we only had one couple in two years take us up on the offer so........

I've also sent you a pm

regards

JP

Well we have only had our place for one winter, but we did get bookings.

There is a hotel in our village that opens for the ski season and does transfers, but otherwise it is a 50min-1hr car journey to the slopes. We don't market it as most suited for the 'hit the slopes every day' die-hards. Ours is more particularly suited for the mixed groups as the village and the area has plenty to do (even in winter and even without transport).

However we do notice that that smaller studios in our area have longer rental seasons than the bigger places like ours (school holidays...?).

Good Luck

Thanks for the replies. One thing i didn't realise (not being a skier) was the requirement to be within 15 mins of the slopes. I suppose it makes sense after a tough day on the runs, a 1hr drive would be the last thing one would want.

I'll not be put off by the number of gites already available, some may be duffers, others overpriced etc etc.

Knowing some of the area already, i cant think of anywhere else on the planet i'd rather live.

Maybe i'll try a similar post on the SW France forum.  

Hmmmn.  Interesting topic and comments.  Not sure that I agree people will only drive 15 minutes to and from the ski slopes.  I know quite a number of people living here in Quillan who are quite happy driving at least an hour there and back every Wednesday and weekend during the ski season to get in their ski and snowboarding quota and the local school here in Quillan arranges skiing every week for the kids, in season.  My sister-in-law who used to live in Toulouse tells me that they used to travel every week so they could ski - she said they would go in their bus- loads.  Now I know that's the locals and not the type of people you are looking for i.e. rental clients but if the location, advertising and marketing of your property is good then there should be no reason why you can't make a go of it. 

As has been previously stated - just search back through previous listings for views and information - there's lots of it;do your research and homework thoroughly, make sure you have sufficient financial resources for your purchase plus enough left over to support yourselves for at least a couple of years and hopefully things will pan out.  Bonne courage..

• 4 weeks later...

I've had an appartment in Gourette for a couple of years but have never rented it formally - just friends from time to time. Gourette has just had a massive face-lift - more lifts, cannons, new pistes etc. I have enquired at the local rental agencies and whilst rentals are averaging out at around €800 per week for a 4 person studio and they say they're almost always fully booked up during the holiday periods (staggered, of course, in France).

It may well be better therefore to get the resort agents to rent your ski property rather than look for UK clients.

Hello,

I would have thought you could get some of the skiing market, maybe cross country which is a big thing now in the Pyrénées, and these people do not need to stay right on the slopes. There is also the long-term letting market, i.e. people renting for 2-3 months in the winter. We have ourselves rented for a couple of months in the winter in the Pyrénées.

Good luck

Ross