Rental scam

Diana

I have just received a phone call from a gentleman in Hungry wanting to rent our french house he said he was phoning from a company, this is strange because we are no longer advertising it for rent. As I was in a meeting I could not talk and just said it was not available without going into further details. I seem to remember reading about a scan on here a few months ago about dodgy web-sites and another about people phoning and wanting to rent your property for many weeks and at a much higher rate than you were advertising, they would send payment from a third person and you had to refund the difference. In the process they got your bank details and the contence of your bank balance.

Am I being paranoid?

Diana

Probably not.

I received an email today, supposedly from Barclay's bank, saying that some men had gone into their London branch (sic) and tried to extract money from my account. In fact, I quote:

"WE WRITE TO ENQUIRE FROM YOU IF YOU HAVE SENT SOMEBODY FROM SWITZERLAND

MR SCHEMIRLT AND SOME LONDON REPRESENTATIVE MR CHELSEA TO MAKE CLAIM ON

YOUR BEHALF.

TODAY AT ABOUT 10.00 AM LONDON TIME, MR SCHEMIRLAT AND YOUR LONDON

REPRESENTATIVE CAME TO THE BANK SAYING THAT YOU HAVE SENT THEM TO MAKE CLAIM ON YOUR

BEHALF ON YOUR CONTRACT FUNDS. I INITIALLY INSTRUCTED FOR THE RELEASE OF THE

FUND TO THEM AS THEY CAME WITH ALL OBLIGATORY DOCUMENTS, BUT ON CROSS

CHECKING YOUR CONTRACT FILE, I DISCOVERED THAT THE BANK ACCOUNT NUMBER THEY

PRESENTED WAS DIFFERENT FROM YOUR OWN BANK ACCOUNT AND THE BENEFICARY OF THE

ACCOUNT THE BROUGHT IS CHANGORI AND CHANGORI THAT'S MAKE US TO SUSPECT THEM,

THIS IS A SERIOUS MATTER IN THE BANK NOW AND WE HAVE GIVEN A MANDATE TO

RELEASE THIS FUND TO YOU."

He then goes on to ask for my bank details (I don't bank with Barclays).

Pathetic.

Diana,

What would ring alarm bells for me is the mention of Hungary. There was someone from Hungary calling round a list of rental properties on the net asking you to advertise on his site. Is this new call unrelated? If your house no longer features on the internet, he is almost certainly calling a list compiled when it was. That's unless he printed off your details when you had a site (unlikely) or he used the Wayback Machine internet archive (preposterous).

Dick,

It's lucky for us that scammers haven't learnt spelling, grammar and lower case yet. When they do, they will be very much more successful. If my mother received that email (and she banked with Barclays) would she have deleted it? Not sure...

Paolo

[quote]Probably not.I received an email today, supposedly from Barclay's bank, saying that some men had gone into their London branch (sic) and tried to extract money from my account. In fact, I quote:"WE WR...[/quote]

An idea:

Respond with a valid bank, valid branch, valid address, etc., (not yours) though random account number (i.e. not valid but with the correct number of digits). Maybe include a PIN number (random 4 digits) in the response to get them really keen.

This would encourage them to visit the wrong bank with rubbish details (you could even even warn the bank in advance about it to catch them). Worst case is they would waste some time, best case is the back would take some notice of your warning and catch them.

I have just spent two days in e-correspopndence with a chap who wanted to rent for three weeks but for me to effectively bank a cheque for him (i.e. return him the balance out of £3k).

As it happens he was from Nigeria.

Strangely enough I had a similar thing last year.

I chose to explain that I may fall foul of the anti money laundering regulations were I do do as requested. He declined to proceed.

• 4 weeks later...