chez nous, vat, customer service??

kd

I wanted to advertise our gite on the Chez Nous website (only) however, the booking form says that British VAT is payable (I live in France and do not enter the UK) unless one can provide a French VAT no.
I do not have a French Company and therefore do not have a French VAT no. I emailed Chez Nous to ask if I should pay UK VAT considering I never enter the UK.
I know that other gite internet advertisers do not charge VAT (to those who live outside the UK) as I am with one of these companies.
Chez Nous are the biggest co. in their sector and are behaving like it. They do not believe it is necessary to provide a personal service and have not responded to my email.
Perhaps someone on this site could answer the question about VAT.
I also notice that Chez Nous charge a set fee for 1 years advertising but then remove the ad. at the end of Oct. In effect one pays for a year and receives only a few months. So if I post an ad. with them now (assuming I could get it processed quickly) I receive 9 months for the price of 12!

Why do you want to go with Chez Nous on their website ? it produces very little if anything, see how often it comes up with google and others.

The brochure, big as it is, has long been the number one French private cottage hire by far (more's the pity, with their absolutely abysmal attitude to clients) and that works for some but not all. This is due to the sheer size of the brochure and the huge number of gites now available on the net and in brochures.

As for simply advertising solely on their websire, your money would be far better used elsewhere, in my opinion.

Kd, Its my understanding that Chez Nous are legally obliged to charge you VAT if they are liable for it. This is probably to do with their turnover, if its above X (Sorry can't remember the figure) they are obliged to be VAT registered and have to pass it on.

The other enterprises you are considering may not have enough turn over, there are several ways of looking at that situation....you should draw your own conclusion.