I received an tel enquiry on Sat 12 Feb for 1 week starting 26 Feb.

The client said he would be away from home all week, could I email the booking form straight away so he could deal with it, which I did.

I heard nothing all week and emailed again on Fri 18th as another enquiry had come through for the same dates. I asked him to confirm before 8pm, as I had promised a reply to the other party.

I did not hear from him until 11pm on Fri 18th, when he rang, saying the cheque had been posted on Monday 14th,

"how could I have not received it? What was he going to do about finding another place at short notice"... blah blah blah...

I contacted him by SMS (as his mobile was off and he is still away from home) this morning to say the gite was still available as the 2nd party had found an alternative anyway, but saying his cheque had still not arrived, so he would have to bring cash on arrival.

His cheque has arrived today, dated 12th Feb, but the postmark is dated YESTERDAY 5pm!!!

SO, the big question is: should I cash the cheque, hoping he is not trying to swindle me with a "chèque en bois"...

or should I keep the cheque and exchange it for his cash when he arrives? ( which is what I tend to favour...)

I would definitely bank the cheque. This person has lied to you so assume the worst. What would you do if/when he turned up at your door and said he couldn't get cash due to a family tragedy and can you cash the cheque instead? You should always be in control of the transaction, if you don't bank the cheque now you are handing control to someone you know to be dishonest.

Paolo

I should have said, this is a French family booking...

I know it's against the law in France to write a cheque if you don't have the funds to honour it, but the bank does give you 30 days to rectify the situation before black-listing you.

Thinking about it, this is just the way to do it if you're trying it on: send the cheque late so it can't be cashed until the following week...

If I cash the cheque on Tuesday (as the banks are closed until then) I will not know if it's bounced until they are in the gite! It takes the bank 5 days to advise me of a bank transfer, so I won't know if the cheque has bounced until it's time for them to leave! Then he'll offer me what? another cheque??!

As I have already asked him to bring cash, if he has not got it when he arrives, I'll know something is up. I think I'll direct him to the village cashpoint machine, after saying that the gite has to be paid for before the start of the rental period. That way, I'll get cash in hand... If there is a family crisis of some sort, I'll have to be firm about MY interests. I am the only one who stands to loose anything here... He stands to gain either a free holiday or an early trip home, neither of which will cost him anything!...

It can't be a replacement cheque, as he would not have known the first cheque had not arrived, and he would have mentioned sending a second cheque when he rang me at 11pm the same day of the postmark. And why would the cheque be dated the previous Monday???

[quote]I should have said, this is a French family booking...I know it's against the law in France to write a cheque if you don't have the funds to honour it, but the bank does give you 30 days to rectify th...[/quote]

Excellent reply.

It's always difficult when these things happen to know what it the best way forward but it would seem by answering the question yourself it was just a matter of working it through. Although it is nice to have somebody to come to the same conclusion as you, if you know what I mean

I have no experience of running a B&B but have a little in dealing with chancers.

If I were in your position I would not bank the cheque as to do so would accept the booking. I would wait and see if the person or persons actually turned up and then ask for cash or make a judgement on face to face contact whether you actually want them to stay at all.

weedon