What will it be after September ?

Danglar

I notice a certain resignation in this forum with regards to the termination of the route PO/LH once P&O pulls out in September.

For those who might not realise it yet this is a disaster. I too have hoped thus far that someone else would have stepped in P&O's shoes; but there have been no announcements. No feedback from the online petition to the french authorities, no news from Speedferry and , instead, there has been a steady but sure "pirateous" hike in fares by BF. Plus: no flights to Caen , none to Beauvais from London, no flights to Rouen (Boos) and not even the Euroline coach service London/Rouen is there any longer. Dieppe ? in the hands of a very unreliable operator like Transmanche in the winter it is like there were no service at all!

Owners of property/ies in the Depts 27/76 can we not come up with something to relieve the pain ?

Danglar

It seems that most of our guests are now just crossing at Calais and driving down to Normandy.  Even those travelling from the West country and Wales!!!  We were resesigned to doing that a long time ago because I believe that P&O prices from Le Havre and Cherbourg were extortionately high anyway, they haven't got THAT much worse now it's just Britanny.  The difference between western and eastern Channel prices at the moment, being August, is between £450-£600 per car western channel, versus £50-£150 eastern Channel.  No one seems to have a problem with doing the drive either.

Sad fact of life I think.  We would much rather sail from Caen when we do have to go back to the UK, but calais, with the motorway, is so quick anyway, that the saving makes it worth that little bit of extra effort - timewise it makes little difference, as obviously you have a 50 minute to an half and a half crossing at Calais/Boulogne as opposed to 5-6 hours at Cherbourg or Caen. 

I can drive across to Calais from Brittany, cross the Channel and drive up to Yorkshire in less time than it takes to cross by any of the other pirates.  It is eleven hours driving though with just a short break on the ferry.  However, even if I slept in Calais before I boarded, it would still be cheaper than crossing with one of the others.  Caen and Cherboug are about half the driving time but the roads are so good here, I don't mind driving.  Le Havre is five hours for me.

Bologne would be even quicker I think.  Will try them next time.

I will be bereft after September...

My prefered crossing has been Portsmouth/LeHavre with P&O for the last 25 years. And I have tried all routes accross, all operators and P&O P/LH won it for me everytime!

5h from my corner of Wales, overnight ferry, 4 1/2h-5h straight down to 79 to visit my parents and french family twice a year if not 3!

The thought of going to Dover from Mid-Wales area ! mind you Daughter is at University in Canterbury so it could be an excuse to stop by and see her.... Don't think she'd too pleased... and then that long diagonal drive from Calais....

I have travelled PO/LH with P&O for the past 10 year. My my son has kinda grown up on those ships. He knows every corner.

I do not travel just 2 or 3 times a year but at least one week end a month and some longer periods 3 to 4 times a year. I will miss PO/LH/PO greatly.

How many times I found in January that whilst BF were cancelling their sailing on top of their scheduled cancellations becuase of the weather, PO were always there to take me across!

My property is only 49km from Le Havre , 30minutes drive. Nothing can be more comfy than 1hr drive to Portsmouth ,5 1/2 hrs of relax, 30 minutes drive to ...my french home. Not even the £40 e/w of Speedferry will reduce the pain of this loss.

Danglar

There are currently discussions taking place with a number of interested parties to operate a service to Le Havre when P&O pull out this October. Norfolk Line has been suggested as a likely candidate and, of course, Brittany Ferries may well put together a successful bid for the route.

Brittany Ferries original plans to take over the route, including the charter of the existing ships and at least 200 of the current P&O staff was scuppered by the UK Monopolies & Mergers Commission. When it became clear that their investigation and report would not be published in time for Brittany Ferries to take over the service earlier in the year (in time for the lucretive summer season !) Brittany Ferries pulled out of the deal. However, once P&O has pulled out altogether, there is nothing to stop Brittany Ferries putting in a bid to operate on this route without being obliged to take sub-charter ships from P&O and employ ex-P&O British staff which may well seem like a much more attractive option.

It will also be interesting to see what transpires with Transmanche Ferries next year. They are soon to take delivery of two new ships to operate their service between Dieppe and Newhaven. As yet, they have made no announcement regarding their plans for the existing two ships that operate on this route.

To conclude, it is unlikely that October will mark the end of ferry services from Le Havre - or certainly not for more than a few months. That being said, increasingly, ferry companies are finding that freight is providing the backbone of their income and freight only services are much cheaper to operate. Whilst we are likely to see ferries continuing to operate from Le Havre, there can be no guarantees that this service will be open to ordinary passengers. Brittany Ferries have already announced that the Poole to Cherbourg route will be "freight only" for three months this winter and we will soon discover what their future plans are for other routes, in particular Plymouth to Roscoff where winter services have been sparse in recent years.

Thank you Eslier for the very informative posting.

Winter months crossings are essential for the property owner so I hope something will be sorted before December.

I have read in another posting that the Grimaldi Ferries have shown an unofficial interest... I have had a look at their website and their ships are certainly better than those wrecks Transmanche are currently operating and which were in service on the Sardinia/Corsica route decades ago.

And Grimaldi Ferries would offer a culinary experience far superior to that availabale on anyone ship on anyone route b/w France & UK. Those who have met me will know why I am so enthusiastic at the idea.

Regards

Danglar

• 2 months later...
just returned to our property in normandy 24th October, using LD Lines http://www.ldlines.com/ from portsmouth to Le Havre, cost £129 car and 2 passengers one way including 2 berth cabin. As they are just starting this was an introductory fare and facilities were few and far between (no duty free shop open). We will just have to wait and see what happens in the new year. Come on Speedferries, get in on the act!