Welcome Packs - help

Sophie

Hello

We are in our first year of renting out a gite. We have successfully managed to secure quite a few bookings for this summer. I was wondering if anyone could help provide some pointers on what we should include in a welcome info pack.

I'm guessing things like local amenities (supermarket, bakers, doctors, hospital etc), tourist attractions, general items on the property (eg fosse septic). Is there anything else that people would find useful?

Any help is appreciated.

[quote user="Dicksmith"] how to work every single appliance (or someone will break them).

[/quote]

Yes, this is really important if you have a French washing machine, central heating boiler and/or gas bottle cooker!

You could add lots of information (leaflets) about local attractions and bars/restaurants, with their opening times.

It may be good to add a paragraph explaining that the French normally stick to 12-2pm eating times/shopping times that it's sometimes difficult to find places where you can eat at any time of day.

Put a pretty little notice in your loo where where it will be seen clearly regarding the three Ps - pee, poo and (French) paper only.

You could add the telephone number of the changeover person (if appropriate) and also a paragraph wishing them a lovely holiday and point them in the direction of the visitors book so that they can leave comments.

Good luck.

Hi Sophie

I agree with all the things people have already mentioned in their responses, information and directions to the local supermarket, doctors etc, plus their opening times, pamphlets on tourists attractions, also local markets and the days and times that they are on as guests seem to like these particularly.

In addition to the info pack, you might consider a welcome basket of some sort. We do this for guests staying for one week or more, it costs relatively little and all our guests have commented how nice this is.  It doesn't have to be huge, ours includes milk, a bottle of water, a bottle of wine, a local pat of butter, a local cheese, some bread and a packet of regional speciality biscuits, this means guests can have a drink and something to eat without unpacking all their bags.

Good luck with your first year.

Hazel

Petrol stations - in additon to the above (which ones are open on Sundays) add a note that so-called 24-hr stations are often not staffed, and work with French cards only. Opening (staffed) times of local ones.

Telephone : Mobiles may not always have a good recepton in some areas and a good alternative is to buy  a Telecarte from the tabac or FT which can be used on any land line.

A list (keep it friendly and not too stern!) of house rules - such as don't let kids climb trees, pick flowers, throw stones at animals, go poking into the private bits of your property, use furniture as trampolines, use felt pens near soft furnishings, eat sweets and chocolate in bed... But keep it friendly - for instance the property bit can be phrased as what IS available for their use and enjoyment, other bits being private and 'not covered by your insurance'.

Where smoking is / is not allowed if applicable. You might allow smoking, but not in bedrooms.

What to do with rubbish, including bottles and any other recyclable stuff.

Damage / breakage - whatever your policy is, let you / your caretaker know as soon as possible so that it can be fixed for the next guests. (You don't want to be rushing around in the short window between changeovers trying to find a new cooker / washing machine / whatever.) Perhaps to NOT buy replacements for small items (we often had people saying they'd replaced broken glasses or crockery and ended up having to buy new matching ones anyway, using the inappropriate 'replacements' ourselves!).

Supermarkets and hypermarkets in your area and their opening times (most frequently asked question!).

Location of cashpoints.

Smoke alarms / fire extingusher information & emergency phone numbers.

HTH

Jo

[quote user="Jo Taylor"]

A list (keep it friendly and not too stern!) of house rules - such as don't let kids climb trees, pick flowers, throw stones at animals, go poking into the private bits of your property, use furniture as trampolines, use felt pens near soft furnishings, eat sweets and chocolate in bed... But keep it friendly - for instance the property bit can be phrased as what IS available for their use and enjoyment, other bits being private and 'not covered by your insurance'.

[/quote]

I just want to back up everything Jo says - the above might sound petty, but if you have a nice, well furnished house, it doesn't hurt to remind people that it should be respected. I have added the above after having a football continuously kicked into fruit trees and on one occasion when I got asked next door by the guests I was horrified to see all the kids using one of the downstairs double beds as a trampoline.

The rubbish is important too, especially if you don't have it collected. I have fond memories from last summer of having to empty of a dustbin full of (used) nappies that weren't even in bags - I still have nightmares about the maggots!

I also leave a reminder of how to leave the house - I do the cleaning, but ask that they put back the furniture to the way it was when they arrived, if not you (or your cleaner) has to waste hours on a changover day searching for things. Oh, and what time they need to vacate the house on the departure day.

The insurance is also important - even though you may take a security deposit, if this doesn't cover the cost of the damage caused, the guest is liable on his/her personal insurance. Your own insurance won't cover this, so it is worth checking that they have this in place.

The insurance is also important - even though you may take a security deposit, if this doesn't cover the cost of the damage caused, the guest is liable on his/her personal insurance. Your own insurance won't cover this, so it is worth checking that they have this in place.

Regarding this we have had a nasty experience with UK travel insurance.Guests in our gite damaged washing machine beyond repair.Cost to replace 350 euros.Security deposit of only 100 euros had been taken.They supplied us with the name of their insurance coy together with policy number.(Well known supermarket) .We tried to make a claim against their insurance,insurance coy will not entertain us it has to be the insured(ie the guests) who make the claim.They are now safely back in England and have not sent in a claim form to insurance so we are 250 euros out of pocket.We have increased our security deposit to 300 euros for this year but any further suggestions welcome 

Could you not have claimed on your own isurance for the washing

machine? I understand from my insurer that they will pay, but seek to

recover from the guests direct or via their insurance? It does cost a

little extra for contents insurance, but is at least a reassurance!

[quote user="alnmike"]Could you not have claimed on your own isurance for the washing machine? I understand from my insurer that they will pay, but seek to recover from the guests direct or via their insurance? It does cost a little extra for contents insurance, but is at least a reassurance!
[/quote]

It didn't think it worked  like this in France, it is (as far as I am aware) impossible to get insurance cover for rental damage, it is the occupants who have to have personal insurance to cover this damage.

I would love the name of your insurance company if they do cover this!