Towels or not?

nimportequoi

I have to agree with Macker on this one.

Having been on holidays in French gites for over 20 years, and now a gite owner, there was never any question about linen and towels being included in the price.

I used to hate lugging towells, bedding all the way from the UK, no problem if you are driving I hear you say, but these days a lot of people fly and hire a car, so the last thing you want to do is fill your suitcase with towels.

After two very full years, we have not had a single comment about the provision of towells, nor about the dishwasher, DVD player etc etc.if you get what I mean.

The gite market is a world away from what it was 20 years ago.

If I was hiring a gite, I would always go for the ones that did not charge extras or asked to you bring your own towels.

It has been really good to read all the varied comments on here. As we are new to the gite game it has been good to hear from seasoned owners and take their comments on board. As a result of what you have all written we have decided that we will still provide the basic towel packs. We will change our advert to say 'does not include pool towels', but will supply some cheap Bath/Beach towels for use round the pool and ask customers to wash them after use. We will all ask that the house towels are not used for the pool. Hopefully this way people won't think we are being stingey and we won't have to worry about them getting ruined.

Do you think this would be a good compromise?

Reading some of the comments - those from people who didn't want to provide towels, or who charged -  reminded me of a conversation we had whilst staying inland from St Tropez. The gite owner, who looked after other peoples gites recounted how he had just given a cheque for about £18,000 to a villa owner who complained at the deduction of £27 for a new umbrella.

We've stayed in gites for the last 30 years and have had good and bad experiences. A French gite with only tiny coffee cups to drink from and an enormous cook's knive and no other kitchen knives, cracks around the walls that daylight could be seen through and mould on the shower curtain. It did have a fig tree which was some  compensation. Last year, 8 of us stayed in a gite in Honfleur. We arrived to find a heap of dirty bed linen on the kitchen table, unmade beds and no clean linen. We had paid for this service. Check in time was from 4.30 and the English owners, in England, were uncontactable until 6.30. Eventually 2 teenage girls turned up with clean sheets and left us to make the beds. This year some friends were invited to stay for a week as part of a 60th birthday celebration. The birthday couple had hired a gite for 14 for 4 weeks and, whilst linen was provided, there was only one set which was meant to last for the whole of their stay. This gite was quite cheap (e1400 per week) so I guess you get what you pay for.

Sue M

[quote user="SueM"]

Reading some of the comments - those from people who didn't want to provide towels, or who charged -  reminded me of a conversation we had whilst staying inland from St Tropez. The gite owner, who looked after other peoples gites recounted how he had just given a cheque for about £18,000 to a villa owner who complained at the deduction of £27 for a new umbrella.

[/quote]

I'm baffled.  What was that all about? [8-)]

[quote user="Cassis"][quote user="KathyC"][quote user="Cassis"][quote user="JJ"]

the last thing you want to do is fill your suitcase with towels.

[/quote]

Except for the return journey, of course.
[/quote]

But only if they're good quality ones!

[/quote]

And freshly laundered.
[/quote]

And not if they don't belong to you... *still cross about the family who nicked 4 towels in August*

I supply two towels per person and tell them to bring their own beach towels, but have a few to lend just in case. Don't want suntan oil or beach tar on the 'normal' towels.

Many don't use them (hooray!), several have 'accidentally packed' them and a few have left some really nice ones - an Australian family last year, on the last leg of Europe, left a huge pile of fluffy big towels. They're my best ones now...