Gites and Long Term Rentals

Chief

Hi.

Read elsewhere on the forum about problems getting tenants (long term) out of your property if they need to be evicted (for say failing to pay the rent, etc).  We hope someday to have a property in France, and would consider conversions into gites if we had appropriate outbuildings (more as a pin money thing than an income generator).  Do the problems with evictions apply to long term gite rental as well.

What would happen for instance if we accepted a prepaid 6 month rental, and then the tenant refused to budge, are we covered under the law?, or do we have big problems to deal with?.  We would rather not bother renting if it could be problematic, as we don't view this as something that we would be doing in order to survive.  Are short holiday rentals better propositions?

Your thoughts, experiences would be appreciated.

cheers

dave

[quote user="Clair"]duplicated post, unable to delete
[/quote]

Why would you want to delete it...why not just do as you did in your second post and paste the link.:-)) 

The reason i didn't trawl the previous post as i normally would, is that i was using a works computer.  Need to keep time usage below certain thresholds, in order to keep the megabyte police off my trail.

Thanks for the link, it was very helpful.

[quote user="chief"]Why would you want to delete it...why not just do as you did in your second post and paste the link.:-))  [/quote]

Because when I did just that, the post was not just amended, but duplicated!

There is another thread about this I think, but I cannot find it at the moment...

Hi,

fingers crossed!  We have just let one of our gites to a young single french man for six months.  We took the trouble (once we had found a tenant) to go to an immobilier who deals with letting and get them to make us up a contract with a special clause in it for six months and this cost us €90 each (us and the tenant) so was not expensive.  They also for this did all the checking required on banks, income, job etc that this young man had.  Ask me again in six months when he has to be out!  We are a furnished let, by the way.  Our immo assured us we were quite safe.  Like I said, fingers crossed.

Fil