fulcrum

This is also posted on another forum.

I have an old house and would like to move the

tableau de repartition to the left side of the EDF meter and switch

board. Will this be OK? Or is there a convention of Tableau always

being on the right.

The reason I ask is that the electical supply is on the right as

you enter the house. However the incoming EDF supply cable, although

surface mounted, is underneath the cables feeding the various circuits.

Fitting the TR on the left of the EDF board will allow the EDF

cable to stay where it is and my new circuits to be inside wall mounted

trunking and not go anywhere near it.

I can provide a picture.

I've read various 'rules' about where the tableau can/cant be placed (ie, not sideways on in a cupboard etc) but have never seen anything about left or right of the incoming supply / meter. Its my understanding that, within the very broad scope of the limitations, you can effectively do whatever you wish on your side of the meter. That's obviously not carte-blanche to do totally daft things because you may want to sell the house in the future. Get a copy of the various DIY books which cover electrickery and all will become clear(ish).

Hi

The board can be anywhere, another wall even, regulation height from floor is 1.80m, since you have an existing supply there will be no requirement for an inspection but doesnt hurt to comply where you can.

regards

Apart from the minimum height and accessibility considerations you can separate you tableau de distribution from the EDF stuff as far as you like - provided the cabling between the two is of suitable cross-section and adequately 'gained'. In our first house the meter was on the outside wall of the living room, the EDF disjonteur was directly behind it on the inside, and the TdeD was in a separate room some 10m away.

As this was a new installation it was approved by Consuel without a problem (well there was a couple of problems: they kicked up a fuss about my bathroom light/shaver units above the wash basins because they didn't have a sticker saying 'pour razoirs seulement' with a double isulated symbol; and I had to remove the wall heaters because they didn't have a NF logo on them. Could certify the dedicated wiring to said heaters but not if they were connected. A little bizarre I felt, considering they were bought in Leroy Merlin along with every other bit of the electric system !).

paul