Should I do it or not?

The Marie in my village told me that I can not legally put a pool in as my garden is to small. He said I need three meters around the pool. I have nowhere near that. But he did say that I could put it in anyway.... Should I go ahead and risk it. Also if I went ahead with it I have a high fence all the way round my garden, would I still have to put more fence up or would a alarm be ok?

Only you can answer this question, but Maire was right, you need 3 metres from a boundary fence to any pool. I think this applies to a pool which is sunk into the ground. I'm not sure the same applies to over ground pools, so you could try that!

Don't know where you would find the rule but when we applied for planning permission a couple of years ago this was one of the changes insisted on. i.e keep it 3 metres from every boundary.

The annoying thing is that the boundary wall concerned is our garden wall the pool being in a pacel of land we bought with the house. Tried to argue the point but they were having none of it.

Fortunately in our case it wasn't that serious - just meant moving a bit more earth.

rgds

Hagar

• 2 weeks later...

Is it a recent rule?   If the back of our house is 3m from the fence, it must be 3m to the millimetre, because the back fence is very close!     At the side of the house there's a metre between the house wall and the pool, then the 3-metre width of the pool, then a metre between the pool and the boundary wall.

The house was built early 80s, I think.

[quote]Is it a recent rule? If the back of our house is 3m from the fence, it must be 3m to the millimetre, because the back fence is very close! At the side of the house there's a metre between the ho...[/quote]

I don't know, but it is certainly the rule around here (in 22). Of course, this being France, you are probably entitled to build on your neighbours paitio in St Tropez...

• 2 weeks later...