Liner or Shell?

Maggie

Hiya - hope somebody can help us!  We hope to be moving shortly to another house ... sadly without a pool   We have a liner in our current pool and are really happy with it, but a couple of people have said that the shell system is better and much quicker to install ... we're not unduly worried about the length of time to instal the pool, as long as it's what we want.  Has anybody got experience of a shell pool, was it good etc ...  What are the pros and cons for both methods??  We have spoken to a couple of pool companies, but it would be great to get your views - less biased I suspect!!

Many thanks

We have a shell, Coque with a saltwater chlorinator. 

You can literally buy them off the shelf, dig a hole, "dropped in" get them plumbed in and up a running. However it would not be considered finished.  You really have to let the pool sit for at 6 months (pref through a winter) so the ground around it can settle correctly.  Once the pool has settled you can see how well balanced it actually is then a concrete belt is added around it 'posed'. Followed by terracing etc. 

The plus point is if there is a problem with the coque it is guaranteed by the manufacture (so long as it is 'posed' properly). 

Our pool looks good and we are happy with it, but I am sure time will tell if thre will be any problems.

A liner pool is more of a structure from the start. Sometimes the liner tears and if you are renting the likeliehood is increased with guests damaging liner and then you have to pay out for new liner etc.

Hope this helps.
Deby

Hi

just worth noting that, in general, fibreglass shell pools are excellent.

However, after many years, they can become porous. Symptoms are blisters that appear in the gelcoat and water seeps into the glass matting. Although not as serious as on a boat (!) it may need renovation at some point to dry the matting and replace the gelcoat.

Equally a liner can develop tears near the top joint in winter.

I can give more info if needed.

Peter

[quote]Hiya - hope somebody can help us! We hope to be moving shortly to another house ... sadly without a pool We have a liner in our current pool and are really happy with it, but a couple of people ha...[/quote]

Don't forget you are limited on size with a 'shell' pool. 10m x 5m max; I think.

Having run a company that maintained pools in France (over 50 at one time) I can assure you that there isn't a real problem with liner pools. Well looked after; 12 years lifetime is achievable. If you are renting and money is not a major concern ask about 'armoured liners'.

Email if I can help any more.