water..tap or tanker??

Frank

Hi everyone

Thinking about filling our pool for the first time and I have had a thought about buying water in via a tanker.  I saw program the other day on euronews, which was saying water in rural areas is nearly twice as much as in the cities, due to remoteness of properties etc. Is it possible to have water delivered in this way for a pool and does it work out to be anymore cost effective?? ( we will need about 75 cubic meters) Has anyone out there filled their pool in this way, or has the good old tap in the kitchen been the best source.  We do have a well, but the water is a long way down!!! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance  

kimberley

I HAD WELL ONLY AND NEEDED 65 CU.METRES .!!!

INSTALLER GAVE ME 2 LARGE BLOW UP POOLS AND SAID RAIN WOULD FILL THEM -ABOUT 20CU.M. EACH

GUESS WHAT IN2002 FEB./MARCH DRY AS A BONE AND STATING TO PANIC. AS LINER HAD TO BE PLACED AND TO PREVENT AIR TRAPPED BEHIND IT FILLED WITHIN 2 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WELL ONLY SUPPLIED 3 CU.M. PER DAY BEFORE RUNING POSSIBLY DRY.

NEIGHBOUR SAID I COULD FILL FROM A NATURAL SORCE RUNNING ON HIS LAND A MILE AWAY.

I BORROWED 1000LITR STEEL CONTAINER FROM MARIE AND MY FRENCH NEIGHBOUR TIED  IT ONTO HIS TRACTOR.

I BOUGHT A 20 METRE LENGTH  OF HOSE ,STUCK INTO THE SOUCE WHICH HAD ENOUGH PRESSURE TO FORCE WATER TO TOP OF CONTAINER AND FILL IT EVERY HOUR.

I THEN BEGGED FARMER TO DRIVE IT TO MY PLASTIC POOLS AND TOPPED THEM UP.

IT TOOK ABOUT 10 DAYS WORKING FROM 0800A.M.TO 0800.P.M. AND THE NEIGHBOUR WOULD NOT TAKE A SOU.

NOW THATS WHAT I CALL A FRIENDLY NEIGHBOUR .I PERSUADED HIM AND IS FAMILY TO GO TO A RESTAURANT AND HAVE WHATEVER THEY WANTED.

NOW I DID ASKPOMPIERS IF THEY COULD DELIVER FROM RIVER AND THE WATER COMPANY-BUT THEY SAID NO.!!!!!!!!!!!

AT ONE TIME I THOUGHT I HAD BOUGHT THE FIRST DRY SWIMMING POOL IN THE WORLD.

SUGEST YOU FOLLOW MY ROUTE UNLESS A PIPE CAN BE HIRED TO CONNECT TO  WELL  AND PRESSURE IS GREAT ENOUGH..

GOOD LUCK.[st]

If you have mains water then use that - it won't cost you too much. You need to expect it to take a long time though, maybe around 24hrs.

(Ab, please don't shout - perhaps you aren't aware but typing all in CAPS is the electronic form of shouting in "netiquette" and considered bad manners - hope you don't mind me pointing this out)

Yes I agree with Anton

Quite often well water or ground water of any description can contain a

cocktail of pathogens, and nitrates, none of which you want in your pool,

as they can be very difficult to deal with and very bad for your health, even

if they are good for the veggies.

Rainwater is the best alternative source to tap water. I have been advising

clients and Forum posters ever since the restriction commenced last year to consider

installing water butts to catch roof water, It’s far better and more reliable

than any other source and its free. But naturally timing is of the essence. The

rainy season is nearing its end and there is not a moment to waist to catch

every drop. I urge everyone to take this seriously as the country is getting

steadily dryer every year. Restrictions are here to stay.

Pm me if you want help

Andrew

We have always collected water for the garden and after last years shortages decided to try and improve this year. We have five old wine chais in our barn which were earmarked for conversion to shed/toolstores etc. At the end of November last year we sealed one of them and arranged a pipe run from just a quarter of the roof (about 36 square metres) through the wall and into the top. Just to give an idea of how much rainwater you can collect, it filled up last week. That is 19000 litres in just four months that would otherwise have disappeared. All I have to do now is adapt the outlet pipes and we are in business. I know that most people will not have that amount of storage but smaller containers connected in series all help.