Has anybody installed their own swimming pool for private use.

Ysatis

We are considering installing a swimming pool ourselves (husband is a carpenter/builder) and would value anybody's comments...positive or negative.

• Any pitfalls with installing a pool into the ground (not raised/above ground).
  • How strong is a fibreglass pool ( our big fear would be to crack it).
  •  Is a fibreglass pool the most cost effective and after installed does it have a good and trouble free life.

Would somebody of reasonable capability be able to do themselves or is it a mammoth job and not begin to undertake themselves.

EMH

All the types of Pools have their advantages and dissadvantages.

You have chosen a resin pool it seems. They seem simple but they rely

on the skill of a crane driver to get them where you want them without

damage. A serious knock, (with that very expensive sound) and you will

have problems for ever. But its very quick to install, but certinaly

not the cheapest alternative.

Liner pool is the heapest, its a bit like a macano set, all goes

together and you fill it with water. Work at your own pace and get the

chance to correct andy mistakes you make along the way. They will need

changing (liner) after 20+ years and you'll need to patche them if you

damage them for some reason.

Concrete is the most flexible in desing but the least flexible in terms

of resisting ground pressure. See previous post.They also take the

longest and cost the most.

If you want to talk then PM me.

Andrew

Thank you Apero and Andrew for your replies.

I will PM you both quite soon when I have more time and when my husband is here. (owns a pub so not here much!!), he has plenty of questions to ask.

Regards,

• 3 weeks later...

HOW EASY IS  IT ?  GO  SEE YOUR MAYOR IF YOU ARE BUILDING IN FRANCE AND ASK !!!!!!!! HE WILL TELL YOU WHAT YOU NEED TO DO FIRST.

ALL POOLS IN FRANCE ARE SUBJET TO MANDATORY SAFETY MEASURES - FENCE - ALARM - ENCLOSURE - CHECK IT OUT  AND GET IT RIGHT, OR PAY A BIG BIG FINE.  THAT GOES FOR NEW OR EXISITING POOLS.

DIY BLOCK & LINER SWIMMING POOLS.

HOW EASY IS IT ? - WITH  THE DIY BOOK, VIDEO  AND A LITTLE HELP FROM A LOCAL  BRICK LAYER AND OR PLASTERER - VERY !!!

CHOOSE THE BEST POSITION - PREFERABLY  FOR  SUN  ALL  DAY - EXCAVATE HOLE.

SET OUT & POSITION MAIN DRAINS.

SET CONCRETE  STRIP FOOTING TO PERIMETER -  ALL BASIC MATERIALS PURCHASED   LOCAL TO SITE.

BUILD  POOL WALL OFF CONCRETE  FOOTING,  BUILDING IN - INLET SPREADERS, SURFACE SKIMMER / S, VACUUM POINT AND UNDERWATER LIGHT/S.

RENDER WALLS, LAY SCREED (NOT CONCRETE)  IN FLOOR (TO ALLOW GROUND WATER TO SOAK  AWAY- IF ANY.)

FIT LINER LOCK TO PERIMETER.  NOW MEASURE AND ORDER LINER - THIS WAY IT

CAN BE MADE TO  FIT , RATHER THAN HOPING IT WILL.

WHILE YOU ARE WAITING FOR YOUR LINER ---------

PLUMB IN PIPES  BACK TO PLANTROOM ( VERY EASY ALL GLUED FITTINGS) AND

CABLE FOR U/W LIGHT/S.

PLANTROOM CAN BE AN EXISTING OUTBUILDING OR A SMALL SHED. THE CLOSER TO THE POOL THE BETTER - PIPE RUNS, FRICTIONAL LOSS ETC.

BACKFILL GROUND.

CAST RING BEAM TO TOP OF POOL PERIMETER.

PLUMB IN FILTER & PUMP ( AND  HEATER - GAS OIL OR ELECTRIC)

HEAT PUMP IS EASY TO INSTALL  AND CHEAP TO RUN FOR 26 WEEK SEASON.

FIT LINER - ADD WATER.

FIX COPING STONES, LAY PAVING.

MANY CLIENTS IN CERTAIN AREAS OF FRANCE DO NOT NEED ANY HEATING MOST OF  SEASON.   A THERMAL COVER AND ROLLER ARE A  VERY GOOD INVESTMENT.

THERMAL COVERS ARE NOT SAFETY COVERS !

USE A QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN FOR SUPPLY TO PLANTROOM AND WIRING IN PLANT.

1000'S OF DIY INSTALLATIONS HAVE BEEN COMPLETED USING THIS

BLOCK AND LINER SYSTEM.

Regards

Calvados

• 2 weeks later...
If ever there was an ad to use a professional pool fitter to do a professional job then you've just read it... (and this is no disrespect to Calvados who obviously knows the procedure inside out) but to a layman, and even an experienced builder, there is no substitute for experience. A lot of the profit for an installer is built in to the price they can get the kit for anyway so you won't actually be saving yourself a great deal of money and by using an 'artisan' you'll end up with something quickly and correctly installed AND (by french law) guaranteed for 10 years.

My husband has not long returned from building our 10m by 5m pool. We have used a 'polystrene block filled with (reinforced) concrete' construction, on a reinforced concrete slab. This is his first building  project. I'm sure that he would tackle it slightly differently with hindsight - but it was complete in 3 weeks, bar the fitting of the liner - which will be done in June. All in all I reckon we have saved  a third of the cost of having it built for us. The saving could have been greater but we chose to buy in a wonderful hole digger, and bought some labour time to sort out the concrete base.

So, it all depends. If you have the time and inclination it is worthwhile and very satisfying - but not a job to rush or to get into without lots of research.

Happy to answer any queries via PM

Pouyade

• 3 weeks later...
My wife and I fitted an 11 x 5 pool with liner and Roman Steps. The process was very simple regards planning. The building whilst reasonably straight forward should not really be undertaken unless you hare above average at DIY….

We have ours about 300mm out of ground and 1.1m under (Planning requirement).

We used a firm who supply all the bits and the instructions and they also supply a support service, they are very helpful and can come and do the bits you may have problems with… For example they will fit the liner….

We bought the liner from the USA (it comes with 25 year Guarantee) and it cost about half of a French supplied liner (including tax and delivery). We fitted it ourselves and so far it has been perfect….

The walls are block with re-bars and finished with a render before the fitting of felt and liner... All the lamps, jets, pipes, filter, etc came in the kit… As does the sanitizer…. Basically you can pick and mix to suit your needs….

As for the level of competence needed... well I would say you would need to be more than just good at DIY…. It’s a big investment and a badly fitted pool will not only look bad but can cost you money in the long run….

You'll need to be able to handle a digger, to be able to 'set out' accurately, lay a base and screed it and so on. Of course you can subcontract the excavations but be sure to include for ‘cart away’ of the spoil…. This can be very expensive in France….

Think carefully about the money you will save and offset that with the cost you will incur if you get it wrong. If in doubt you would probably be best to employ an expert. There are lots about and getting 3 or 4 quotes is essential.

As your husband is a carpenter it is likely he will be familiar with construction and probably quite capable...

I can give you the name of the company if you wish but in the interests of not advertising his please ask me privately. (I am new to this site so am not sure of the protocol with regards to businesses advertising).

Having said all that I could have bought all the components of the kit myself and saved a large sum but when I bought the kit I also bought the gentleman’s expertise and this did prove invaluable…..

Hope this helps a bit…. Good luck.

Joseph.

Thanks everybody so far who has passed on their experiences and advice. My husband has read them all with much interest. We are not ready to install a pool at the moment and this has given us time to do more research and decide which route we will take. If anybody has had problems with 'doing it themselves', we would also be interested in hearing those tales aswell.

Regards,

I’ll tell you one of the conditions that was put on our pool build. It surprised me but maybe you already know about it.

When we excavated we had to treat all the open ground against Termites. Apparently they live at about 6 foot and you can accidentally release them….

Full body kit, breathing apparatus and spray gun were needed….

One of those little things the kit suppliers forget to tell you about….

Joe

I purchased an above ground pool from  http://www.maisonetconfort.com  It comes with removable steps and therefore is not subject to having all the bells and whistles for security. We checked with our local Mairie who told us we could fill it for the first time from the mains supply but requested we use a collector tank to top it up.

It took me 3 days to install it with the help of a friend. All you need is a solid, level base. The company were very helpfull and delivered on the dot at a very reasonable price - 40 euros delivery !!

It came with everything needed - pump, filter, winter cover, solar cover, ground sheet, internal /external steps and even a years supply of treatment. I went for this one :

http://www.maisonetconfort.com/site/Exterieur/Piscine/Piscines-hors-sol/Piscines-bois/Kit-piscine-bois-OSLO-ovale-6-55m-x-4-80m-x-1-28m-a1106.html#prix

You can see the finished article on my web-site www.midipyrenees.co.uk 

Good luck and enjoy the long hot summer days.