Natural Swimming Ponds

Beris

We are looking for details on how to construct a natural swimming pond ( the water is cleaned by the plants in the planted area) no chemicals are needed.

There are companies who carry out this work but are very expensive, we would like to do it ourselves.

I have been looking into these as well, you can buy a book that tells you how to construct one, do a search on natural swimming pools for them to come up, I think that most of the books are from America. There is a fantastic looking pool with a water fall-great idea-they have some information and diagrams, if you have any building knowledge you could work it out but read the information on some of the sites that come up. I thought there would be some sort of diagram/how to, but I think its going to have to come from a book!!

Hi

Thanks for the reply to my question, I understand www.totalhabitat.com have a book for sale, although I do not know the price.

I do have a general idea of the construction, but was looking for someone who had insalled one and could tell me about liner thickness, and the plant details, I thought of contacting Charlie Dimmock!

It looks like buying a book.

Best wishes

Beris

• 8 months later...
Has anyone built a natural pool yet? I am quite keen on using our spring which is of drinking quality to dam and make a pool  and would like to use puddled clay .As the water is so pure presumably there will not be a need for a purifying plant area but we will need a warming pool area as the temperature at source is 3 degrees !! The spring water streams into the river about 50 metres away and I envisage a warming pool spilling into the swimming pool then the water spilling into the river or maybe it would need 3 pools to get the temp up a bit . Any Ideas?