Water restrictions in 66

Just heard on the radio that the filling of pools is not allowed from today in the PO (66). There is also a ban on watering grass and gardens between 08:00 and 21:00. I know that other departments have lived with the pool filling problem in the past but as it's new to us here is there any advice out there regarding what to do when the skimmers have to be turned off.

• 3 weeks later...

It's quite normal for there to be an arrete during the high Summer (precise dates will vary from departement to departement and from commune to commune).

Generally (and I mean generally), it will involve:

• no filling of new pools or re-filling of existing ones
  • no watering of lawns / sports fields
  • no car washing with a hose

The automatic top-up of a pool (due to evaporation-loss) is OK, as is plant / veg watering during late evening / early morning.

Basically, commonsense won't let you down from year to year, i.e. don't decide to fill a new pool / change the water in an existing one, in the middle of June / July.  Someone might think that you're being somewhat cavalier! Around here, it's a €1000 fine (though I know of at least two who have done it - not Brits).  If you're seen to be being sensible, then probably nobody will take umbrage, whatever the precise words of the arrete say.    

Thanks Ian,

This is not a normal situation in the Pyrenees Orientales, the first time in 7 years that I have lived here, and most people can't remember the last time it happened. I guess common sense should prevail, I just hope the local Mairie and gendarmes agree.

I do not live in dept 66, but I have lived through the severe water restrictions of 2005, so I am a tad confused by the following;

Ian Horn wrote"

"the automatic top-up of a pool (due to evaporation-loss) is OK"

So what do you do if you have not got an automatic top-up system?

I know the spotter planes cannot detect an auto system, but what is the difference between tan auto system  and topping up your pool with a hose?