Swimming Pool, Gites and the DDASS!

edwierdo

Would some kind soul please try and clarify for me the regulations governing 3 gites with a swimming pool, is this classed as public or private.

What are the regulations that i must adhere to if it is public, i was going with the automatic chlorine system anyway which i believe is a must for DDASS approval, but what about showers footbaths and even handicapped access for swimming. I plan on 14 guests this is not a hotel swimming pool!

I live in Charente, are the DDASS strict on these points, is common sense used and is there anyway round these problems?

Thanks in advance.

Naturally enough, the DDASS see themselves as the protector of the public. In this case, they want to assure the holidaying public with reasonable certainty that they will not contract anything nasty when they are on holiday - well not from the swimming pool anyway.

To do that they are trying to maintain a reasonable standard (other countries are more severe) of water hygiene in the swimming pool of holiday homes, camping grounds and hotels. There are three main concepts, which are at issue:

1.Bathers are clean when they enter to pool - footbaths, showers and hygiene notices.

2.Water is adequately sanitised constantly- maintaining a minimum of 1.5ppm chlorine; other chemistry is balanced, no other undesirable elements in the water

3.That the filtration is adequate- Pass all of the water through the filter every 3 hours, filter all day the pool is being used.

Mostly, they will do a lot to ensure that a commercial pool is kept open, but they will close it down immediately, if there appears no way, or a lack of willingness to adhere to these standards. These are not onerous or unobtainable; they are also not that expensive, compared to the investment into a middle range domestic pool. I would estimate no more than 15-20%more on the original installation cost would be required to specify a pool under commercial conditions.

What seems to be there biggest bug bear is the number of gites out there, which are not in their system and run pools with no regard to hygiene or care for the public. They will be very short with operators who are managing their pool badly or have no idea, what they are doing; especially those in business for some time before they come to the attention of the DDASS.

So, I recommend that if you are unsure if you qualify as a public pool and should therefore register as such, or if you are unsure what to do after that then PM ma and I will try to help. It’s far better to be prepared than to be compelled.

Andrew