Above ground pools

Pun

We have a problem ref getting permission to have an underground pool, (dept23) we have been told that its farming community "a bit like green belt in the U.K." and underground pools are not allowed but the local marie dept have said we can appeal "done this" and by september the situation would be sorted.

But we can have one of the above ground pools with no rate increase and no planning perms needed.

So we,ve looked at all the local above ground kits both with wooden surrounds and those ones that look like an air born tractor has lost a wheel type pools.

my question is this has anyone got any idea if I could get hold of a company who make above ground pools that look like a pool and not a wine tub?

we.d like a good size, made to last, material can be wood/glass fibre ect we really dont mind as long as it looks the part. (like we did see in the U.S.A.YEARS AGO)

Any help incase we,re told no sensible safe pools allowed please.

Hi Macker,

just a thank you for your help, Ive had a look at this site/web and thats more like what we,re looking for, we,ve sent our "e"mail plus telephone # and hope to hear from them befor the tide comes in,

once again thank you.

• 4 months later...

What is the definition of an "On Ground" pool ?

The reason I ask is that I have recently bought a house without a pool but was thinking I might like to install one but an "In Ground" one would almost certainly bust the budget.

Additionally the property I have bought is on a fairly steep slope which really doesn't lend itself very well at all to "In Ground".

On the other hand however, taking advantage of the slope, it would be perfectly feasable to build up some sort of tapered structure to house a pool, all without any digging at all except perhaps for some foundation work.

Would this qualify as "On Ground" ?

As far as I understand from my dealings with various 'Mairies' (although it very much depends on your relationship with your particular establishment) an 'above ground' pool is one that requires an excavation of no more than a metre, is not made of concrete or any other 'permanent' material and requires no backfill so you could most likely get away with building a structure on your sloping site but you should remember that ALL above ground pools are designed to be assembled on a flat surface as this spreads the load onto the walls in equal measure so if you were to build a sloping structure to match the contours of your garden you would need to consider the huge load that would be brought onto the lowest wall by 70+ tons of water pushing against it. You might also consider the cost of a custom built liner - not cheap. It might be worth considering excavating into the hillside to create a flat spot for the pool and then build a decking surround which would be level at one end and raised at the other which you could probably claim as an 'above ground pool' but would still look the business.

We have a 6.5 metre above-ground pool installed on a sloping garden. We excavated about half a metre at the high end and installed decking, again at the high end. You are allowed to sink above-ground pools into the ground but there is a maximum depth (which I can't remember) that you are allowed to go.

A word of warning. The Canadian pool (galvanised steel) we purchased had a strict proviso that if you buried the pool you invalidate the warranty. I got round this buy using the heavy cardboard packaging which I wrapped around the pool on the area that was to be buried, filled the hole with a weak sand/cement mix and when dry, I removed the cardboard. this has left a gap of about 25mm and the pool company were happy with that.

Although you do not need usually need planning permission for an above ground pool it's still a good idea to talk to the Marie.

The Pompiers also like to know as it is a useful source of water in an emergency. I think I read somewhere that telling them you have an in-ground pool gets you a rate rebate, but I can't say for certain. (Poolguy will know, I'm sure)

The official definition of a pool hors sol that do not require permission is as follows

sont exclues du champ d’application du permis de construire et de toute déclaration préalable les piscines hors-sol démontables, d’une surface inférieure à 20 m2, d’une hauteur inférieure à 1 m et implantées à plus de 3 mètres des limites de propriété. Dans tous les autres cas, il y a obligation d’accomplir les formalités de déclaration préalable.

IE

If you can't take it apart

Or if it is larger than 20 sq metres

Or more than 1 metre above ground

Or closer than 3 metres to your boundary

then you should apply for permission for your hors sol pool, which in most cases is simply a Declarartion de Travaux.

Even an in ground pool is normally covered by a DdT. However if the pool is more than 60cms above the natural ground level then its a case for a full Permis de Construire.