New pool.

laurie

Hi Laurie,

I think that you might mean bromine. Wasn't bromide alledgedly put in the soldiers tea in the war?! If you're planning on bromide, I won't be coming around just in case! Seriously though, I'd be interested to hear, as we'll probably be having a pool next year. Sounds like a question for Poolguy, hope he reads this.

Regards

Paul

Bromine is the element, bromide is a compound, just like, for example, chlorine is an element but common salt is sodium chloride.  You can get sodium bromide too.  You would really not want to get in contact with bromine, which is a volatile liquid at room temperatures and gives off a foul, brown gas which is not good for you at all.  I thought the bromide in the tea thing was a myth?

We had a pool installed 18 months ago and the guy who looks after our place told us to use Bromme (will have a look at the tub later and see if it says anything in English - doubt it).  He reckons it is better than Chlorine for the skin etc.  Quite expensive though but in saying that, I never had the opportunity to have an outdoor pool in Glasgow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (apart from the endless puddles).

I must admit that with the Bromme you don't smell all strange like coming out of the swimming baths at home with the Chlorine!!

Good Luck and Enjoy your Pool

Fiona

If you check on the 'conternts' of the tub then you will find that Bromine treatments for swimming pools are 60% chlorine.

So I really do not see the point of spending more money on disenfectant

as chlorine is very cheap and  40%Bromine will offer you

absolutely nothing more in exchange for the extra money. One problem

with the choice is that there is no stabilizer existing for Bromine and

so it will be 'consumed' by UV on hot days very quickly, all good news

for marketers but not for you.

When you are choosing the nature of dissenfectant it is important to know what you are choosing and why.

I would recommend that you condiser Chlorine liquid system with pH

regulatoin as it is the only truely automatic system and far superior

to a Bromine waister system.

Let me know if you need some more help.

Andrew