Estimqate for Pool

Hoddy

We are thinking of having a pool installed. Last July "Newly Retired" wrote that he had had an estimate of E30,000 for a 10 X 5 pool.

Our first estimate is E44,000 for a 12 X 5 which rather took my breath away. We are waiting for the others. Is anyone else willing to say what they paid or offer any other advice ?

Hoddy

Hi

We had a 10x5 pool installed, the pool has a liner and roman steps, also had an electric cover fitted for security. Total price 32,000 Euro. That was about the same price we had estimated from several different installers but we chose local builders on neighbours recommendation. Its been a long haul but well worth it.

Tony (16)

It may well vary a little from region to region, and extras can certainly add up - but in my opinion the figures quoted are in the right ball park. One thing I would add is this - don't go for a much cheaper quote. With my surveyor's hat on, I have visted a number of pools recently that a near worthless - either cowboys from out of town, or labourers who work for reputable swimming pool outfits installing pools themselves on the week-end on the black. Only go for reputable local companies who will give you the obligaotry 10 year guarantee. Why? Consider how much of a pool is buried, inaccessible, and near impossible to repair. A leaking pipe can cause untold problems, and without any comeback on the installers, you could be left with a repairs bill exceeding the original installation.

Bon courage!

3 years ago my 12x5.5 liner pool cost €20k plus €12k for decent flagstones and surround plus

€5k for pompe chaleur (very necessary if you want to swim till Nov and start in March)

General tips would be:

1) Pay as little as possible for the deposit and keep a substantial sum till you're satisfied.

2) If you don't like the suggested layout (pump house location, power points, shower, etc) stick to your guns.

3) Buy a robot cleaner.

Make sure you get guarantees and threaten everyone with Que Choisir if things start to get ugly.

Don't over chlorinate, always check your skimmers and keep access secure (sod the kids, this is to stop deer drowning - has happened to me).

Swim, a lot

Yes, I've now had two estimates for a 10 x 5 pool with about a 2m wide terrasse on 3 sides and 1m wide on the other. Both quotes were from reputable firms. Trouble is, I need 15m of 2m high masonry wall and a fence to add to all this and so am looking at €30,000 for the pool + €10,000 for the enclosure. Plus covers and the like.

I'm not proceeding with the pool plan at the moment.

The kidney shaped ones with the water pumped through the steps legs really do look a lot cheaper. I will look into it one day. But, for the moment €40,000 is a bit much for the odd dip between April and September. 

• 1 year later...

Has Hoddy with his exclusive Moderator capabilities somehow screwed up the dates of the post ? ?

Anyway, I have still not taken the plunge, although I keep looking at options and thinking about it. The costs seem to work out at about €50 per toe dipped in, so I'm waiting a while longer. I've realised, as said before, it's not just the hole in the ground with the water in it. The terrasse, enclosure, covers, regular maintenance, preparation for summer and preparation for winter all just make it  a huge committment (and not just the money either) for a few weeks swimming in high summer at a holiday house that's not rented out.

[quote user="Nearly Retired"]

Has Hoddy with his exclusive Moderator capabilities somehow screwed up the dates of the post ? ?

[/quote]

Nearly Retired, I think the problem is that you did not look at the date before responding as the topic is nearly 2 years old.

In response to your question and I am speaking as a pool owner. If you are only using the pool for a few weeks in the summer and you are not  regularly present in your holiday home, I would personally forget the project. Pools at the best of times need regular on site maintenance and during  the hotter months possible every two or three days. When the water management goes wrong it can sometimes be a nightmare to correct. Unless you are prepared to install all the automatic aides including the services of a reliable and experienced poolman, then I believe you may be heading for a very costly and frustrating time. Pools are great if they are constantly maintained and in the hot weather( if you do not have heating the season can very short depending on your location).  IMO using the local facilities would be far more prudent, cost effective and far less worrying, unless you have no financial restrictions now or in the future.

Baz

What dates are we looking at NR? You say the dates have been screwed? As Baz has said if you are only here for short periods the upkeep of  pool could be very dificult to say the least!!! Professional upkeep very expensive.

Depends on your pocket, but???????

Edit::--  I suppose my signature says it all in this circumstance peut etra?