Very steep bank - pool possible?

darnsarf

Our house has a small garden on each of two sides (neither suitable for a pool) and a large area to the front. The problem is that the ground (mainly rock) falls at about 1metre every 1 metre. So, if I wanted a pool of say 10 metres, I'd need a retaining wall of about 14 metres high or so (allowing for pool surround). Can anyone advise on

a), whether this is feasible?

b) what materials this limits me too (reinforced concrete only, with butresses?) and

c) whether a pool supplier is the right source of feasibility info, or should I contact a structural engineer? Looking through pics on the internet, I suspect anything is possible - it's all down to money - so my 'piece of string' question d) is

...Should I assume about double the 'standard' pool cost, tripple etc.?

Yes its a toughie...

My recommendation would be first to contact a structural engineer to give you a recommendation on the excavation and retention issues.

And then a Pool builder to put a pool in it... with that slope an infinity pool (dissappearing edge) would look nice.

Contact me if I can help you

Andrew

Have you thought of having a pool with sloping water, then you could do some water skying?[:-))]

Oh gawd, I wish I hadn't said that [8-)]

No, to be serious it would definately sound as if you need the advise of a local structural engineer. If there was any movement in the ground around you it could be very expensive!!

A house we rented in Spain about 15 years ago had the pool, and indeed almost the house built onto the hillside which had pretty much the slope you describe. Ground floor on the house was a 2 metre wide utility room with a rock back wall. Second floor was about 4 metres wide  desspite house having a flat facade.