Cost of building work for pool surrounds

Colin

I am having a pool built now on my property in  Pyrenees Atlantiques and a builder connected with the pool contractor has quoted me what i think may be inflated labour costs for laying 50x50cm slabs . The area is approx 75sq metres and the "quotations " are either 6000 euros [ part cash payment ] or 6800euros [ by cheque ] both plus TVA .

Can anybody advise if this is a sensible price for this amount of work ?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Colin

Break it down.

6800/75 = 90.66/2(50X50 slabs) = 45 euros per slab. How many slabs can 1 man lay in a day? I would be disappointed if a good builder could not lay 30+ slabs a day.

I personally would say that is verging on daylight robbery.

John

I have a pool surround of 84 sq. metres consisting of 50cm x 50cm tiles laid on a steel reinforced concrete base.

The job cost 4500 euros. The work was carried out by the same builder who installed the pool, but under a separate contract as the pool installation did not include a surround, only the "margeles".

Your estimate sounds a bit hefty.

[quote user="jxedwards"]

6800/75 = 90.66/2(50X50 slabs) = 45 euros per slab. How many slabs can 1 man lay in a day? I would be disappointed if a good builder could not lay 30+ slabs a day.

I personally would say that is verging on daylight robbery.[/quote]

But there are 4 x (50x50) slabs in each square metre not 2, so the cost of laying each slab would be 22.66 euros a slab ... still daylight robbery though.

Sue

It seems to me that it depends on whether they are dry jointed or wet

jointed and if there is a concrete base or not and how thic, and what

is the quality of the tile.

I cannot agree with the above posters, as that price could be quite

reasonable depending on the nature of the work which would have to be

specified to give a precise reading on the job.

Andrew

i have to agree with pool guy, how much preparation work needs to be done, what machinary needs to be hired or provided, and how many days work, for how many people. then you add on social charges for the company.  it all mounts up

• 2 months later...

I know this is a bit late now, but i can add what I was quoted (and thought was expensive).  Mason bloke wanted 10€ per m2 for laying concrete base, I had to supply the concrete/reinforcement/expansion joints, and then 35€ per m2 for laying dalle on sand/cement screed, again, me supplying the sand/cement for the screed.

For 160m2 it works out at: 1600 + 5600 (7200€ labour) and about 2500 for sand/cement other bits and bobs. I assume also that this was going to be all cash as he was working 2 days a week for himself, the other 3 for the pool company.

So I concur with the last poster.... 6800 all in sounds about right for 75m2 if it's all guaranteed/tva'd and not on the black and if they are supplying all the materials as well.

As time is something I have lots of, i'm doing it myself.  Probably be done in time for next season tho!

Crazyfrog

I presume from your post that you did all the work yourself.

I would advise caution in posting on a public forum that you have even

received offers for non  legitimate business practices, as you may

know in France, that sort of thing is sort of ... frowned on!

But thanks you for your information, depending on the type of work

involved I still do not find that prices quoted , excessive. I have

come across far higher prices but you see its not sure that the work

was compareable in its costs and preparations, or its finishes.

Andrew