Above Ground Pool Headache

I have an above ground hexagonal pool (bought with my property 7 months ago). Now the summer is almost here (We hope), I have decided to prepare my pool, but have hit a few snags.

1. My pump was cracked (nice of the former owner to tell me), so I have bought a new one, however, the connections for the hoses on my old pump were male and they are female on my new pump!

2. Is the hose size standard? Will I need to buy two new hoses to go from the skimmer to the pump and the pump to the filter?  How do I know what size to buy if there are different sizes?

3. I have algae building up in my pool as I filled it before I checked the condition of the pump and it took 10 days for my new pump to arrive (which doesnt fit my hoses), can I clean the algae with chemicals without using my pump?

4. Is there a recommended pool shop where I can get everything? I go into Perigueux regularly and have seen pool shops over by Leroy Merlin.

Any help will be gratefully received by a very frustrated pool novice

Thanks in advance

As far as I know, most hose sizes are standard with the exception of Intex pools, who have their own sizes (there may be other companies who have their own sizes too).  If the hose size is different on the skimmer and the pump, you may have a few problems getting a hose that fits both (I have read elsewhere people having to use all sorts of methods to overcome this, none of which seem perfect.).  In regard to algae, there is many different views.  The number 1 algae killer is chlorine, but I am not sure it is wise to put chlorine in your pool without some circulation, since you risk the chance of your liner being bleached (I speak from experience).  Anti-algae could be used, since the directions of the bottle I have, state to put in the pool before you commence filtering.  I know many on here do not believe in anti-algae, so please wait for other responses before acting on my advice.

Also, if you have a large Brico nearby Weldom, Mr Bricolage, Castorama etc., you will likely find all you need there and it will be less expensive than a pool shop.

Hope this helps a little.

Sharkster

If you send me pics of your system then I can advise you properly.

At this point is not possible to proffer any helpful response.

Send the pics to my email address.

You can put chlorine in your pool without circulation but be sure to dilute it first in a bucket...... use Eau de Javel 9.6% about 3 litres.

That should control the algea till you get the pump ready to go again. You should also change the sand in the filter I suggest you use Zeolite as you do not know when it was last changed.

Also you will need a tester to tell you what is happening with the complete water chemistry, I suggest a Scuba+

After that you need to balance the pH and the Stabilser and Total alkalinity. If these are not correct then I can tell you what to do about it.

If you go down the road of buying everything which is offered to you in the Brico for a pool the you will spend a lot of money and get not very far along the learning curve.

Alternatively you could find your answers here and follow the advise given.

Hope that I can help.

Andrew

Hose sizes on pools are generally 50mm or 63mm.   When you bought the new pump you should have had a pump manual.   This should indicate the fittings sizes either in a table or diagram.    If you have different fittings now, as you say, then you are going to have to cut the old ones off the hose to fit the new ones.   Once you cut the hose, try a dry fit with the new fittings to see if you have the same size, or simply measure it.   Generally with hose also, there is a size indicator every 1 metre on its length.   Even in photographs it will be impossible to tell the hose size without some sort of perspective included. 

Assuming you have a good fit, clean up the hose cut then use adhesive to weld the new fittings to the end of your hose, ensuring any locking union is on the correct side of the fitting before joining together.   You don't want to go attaching a fitting with adhesive only to find that the union with which you tighten it to the pump has not been slipped onto the hose first as you will not get it on afterwards.   Make sure you use sandpaper or some such abrasive material on both sides to be glued, then clean then up with decapant and a rag and then use the correct glue for your solvent welding.   If you have never used such stuff or techniques before then PM me.

You do of course need to make sure if you are cutting hose that you have enough to reach the pump afterwards, if you don't then you can also use more hose from a pool supplier, attaching the two peices of hose using a collar (manchon in French).   If you do not have the good fit assumed in the previous paragraph you can also buy reducers (réduction simple) and fit them in the same way you would a collar - for example, to go from 63mm to 50mm you would buy a Réduction simple á coller 63mmx50mm (or the same piece to go from 50mm to 63mm in reverse).

Hopefully, you also have 'O' rings for your pumps union fittings (raccord union in French).

Any pool supplier will be able to advise and supply what you need.   The ones near Leroy Merlin sound like such places but do not go to Leroy Merlin or other bricolages for anything other than basic stuff.   If you go to  pool shop and take along the pump, they will generally be more than happy to advise you.

You do need to do something with your water and what Andrew suggests is spot on.   However, whilst his suggestion of Scuba+ is not a bad one, how effective it is compared to cheaper devices (cost v's benefits/home v's professional/private v's rental property etc) is only something you can decide, which is quite subjective.   The same can be said for zeolite as a replacement for sand.   I have to say I am with him on the benefits of  Zeolite over sand - it lasts longer, reduces water consumption, reduces chemicals consumption and filtrates with about 60% more efficiency.   The downside is the initial outlay (large compared to sand) and again only you can decide on the benefits - when considering this you should think about the lifetime costs over 7 years.   There are different brands of zeolite for pools out there also and in total about 150 types of zeolite.   Some are synthetic and some are mined and some even contain potentially carcinogenic properties - totally unsuitable for pools.   Naturally, any brand used in swimming pools and drinking water etc will be 100% safe.   It is truly a remarkable mineral and has many uses.   Many pool shops are starting to stock it now.  

Many thanks for your all your advice on my problems. You have certainly given me a lot to think about :-S I am going to the pool shops in Perigueux tomorrow and taking my pump with me. Its a shame I cannot get something to screw into my existing hose that also fits my new pump. I will take some pictures and take them with me as it may help explain my problems as my spoken french leaves a lot to be desired at the moment. 

I think I will definitely be back for advise after my trip tomorrow.

Thanks
Bob 

I went to the pool shop in perigueux (hydrosud) yesterday and they were a great help, really nice. I bought everything I needed and set about my pool last night.

I fixed it all up and turned my pump on and it is working fine.

I bought the sand but have not changed my filter as it looks a big headache to do it, is it as difficult as it seems? I started to undo my filter at the collar at the top but it needs the right size screw driver as I get so far and it stops and I cannot shift it (even using my electric screwdriver).

All seems to be fine, but I do have a question about the pump. I planned to filter the pool whilst using the cheap overnight electricity, but the pump is too noisy for that, my neighbours would lynch me! Are the pumps usually this noisy?

It is a very straightforward job if you know what you are doing.   Not taxing for a first timer but there are things you can do that can go wrong -  damaging the laterals for one, which you will only know about when you have put the new sand in and turned the pump on, only to find the sand coming through to the pool.   Drop me an email for information and indicate whether your multi-valve is top mounted or side mounted on the filter.  

Generally, pumps are only noisy when the bearings are on their way out.   However, you have a new pump so this should not be so.   They do vary from one pump to another and you will have a guide on the decibel level in your pump manual.   You also need to understand that depending on the water temperature you could be running the pump between 8 and 12 hours a night.   Your pump should be covered to protect it from the elements so this should give some sound insulation (remember a pump needs room also).   If not, you could look at this to solve the noise problem and also put a damper pad under the pump (from Leroy Merlin) before tightening the securing bolts.  Alternatively (or as well as), you could run it for a couple of nights without letting the neighbours know and then ask them if it is an issue.   Circulation pumps should not be so noisy to be a nuisance though they sometimes appear that way when next to them.

Many thanks for the replies, The pump does not make a very loud noise but its a distinct whining noise that can be heard when I am about 50m away. I switched it off last night and it made quite a difference, I can imagine my neighbours will not be too happy at it being oin in the early hours. My cheap electricity runs from 23:30 to 06:30, so its a bit of a pain. I also have no manual to speak of, which tells me about decibels for the pump. I got a pamflet with the pump with bullet points on maintenance, operation, service and repairs, troubleshoot guide and parts list.

My pump is under cover and sheilded from the elements but its not bolted down, I have just placed it on a purpose built table.

How long does it take for the water to become clear on the first filter run? I am ruinning it for 10-12 hours today and will check tonight to see if the water becomes any clearer.

A quick question on filtering.  I thought I had read somewhere, that it is better to filter your pool during the day.  Is this correct, or is it wise to take advantage of the cheap off peak electricity with no ill effects on the pool?

Hi all,

Who ever would think swimming pools are such hard work!!! My pool has now turned green literally in hours!!!

A bit of background, we had algae which we treated a week or so ago, we thought this had gone but yesterday we hoovered the pool for the first time, the water was a chrystal clear before we hoovered it but began to get cloudy shortly after we began. We checked the Chrolrine levels and they were ideal and so was the PH. anyway we poured in a bottle of alkae shock and this morning it was completely green!!! I have had the filter on all day and have just checked the levels and they are still ideal????????

What next!!!! [8-)]

Julie

Julie

It seems that you are not taking the adise you are given here seriously.

If you want help then you need to post the levels in your water. chlor, pH total alkylinity, cyanuric acid;

Nobody can possibly offer a solution to the problem without knowing whats happening. And chucking yet another solution of 'stuff' in the pool for no apparent reason dioes not help at all. Its adding to the problem more tahn solving anything. So please also post the chemical composition of your additive -Alkea shoch??? (never heard of it)

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Sorry, here are my levels:  PH 7.2

Free Chlorine 0

Total Alkalinity 180

Stabilizer 0

I can see they are all over the place and do not have a clue what to buy to put right so would appreciate your help!

Thanks again Julie

OK ... NOW I can offer something constructive.

You have no chlorine in your water, which is strange as I presume that you have been dosing with something through the last weeks since you bought your pool.

To remidie the problem, you need to choc the pool with Chlor Choc (chlor rapid- acid trichlorocyanurate), about 3 kg should be enough - then test.

Following that you'll use a gallet of Chlor lent (slow chlorine- acid dichlorocyanurate) maybe one ever two weeks but test to determine the correct dose for your use.

I would still be interested to know whats in the stuff you put in already

Andrew

Hi andrew,

Thanks for your quick reply, leaves me with enough time to run out and buy the chlor choc!!!

We have only been testing the ph and chlorine and both levels were in the ideal range, we then hoovered it and it went green so added the Algicide shock.  Bob backwashed it also The middle of last week to get the chlorine level right we added a chlore lent tablet in the skimmer, as we had only one in a floater. We only tested the other things after reading that they were also important. We could not afford the scuba+ so bought the aqua check strips? Not sure if you could maybe recommend something more middle of the range, the pool is costing us money that we dont have! [:D]

We now also think the pressure gauge on the filter may be broken! and bob still needs to change the sand on the filter, he may need to ask you some questions about this if you dont mind??

Much appreciated you taking the time to help, sorry we are so useless  [:D]

Julie

[quote user="Barbel Bob"]

The pool is costing us money that we dont have! [:D]

Julie

[/quote]

Julie,

Believe me pools always cost money, I have spent thousands pounds on my pool over the last 7 years. I am sorry to say that having a pool IMO is a luxury and you really need to  have an emergency fund available for repairs. Of course Chemicals are an every day expense. But if you are not in a financial position  to maintain a safe water regime and all that goes with it, then closing down the pool may be an alternative safer option.

This is not meant to be a negative comment but reality.

Baz

Baz,

I cannot afford the scuba+ water tester, i have googled it and it is about 70 quid, i was asking andrew if he could recommend a more middle range way to test your water so it is safe, I am aware of how much the chemicals are (as i have bought so many) [:)]

The new pump was an unexpected cost, which did come out of our emergency fund !

My kids would kill me at the idea of closing it down, they are waiting so patiently for me to get it right!

Julie

I use the aquachek tru test digital meter for testing the free chlorine, total alkalinity and ph and it cost me about 50 euros from my local big mat.  It seems pretty reliable and easier than using strips along where you have to guestimate the levels.

[quote user="Poolguy"]

Chlor Choc (chlor rapid- acid trichlorocyanurate)

[/quote]

On another note, I used the above to shock my pool, but was curious since I thoght trichlor had cynauric acid / stabiliser in it, so was unsure why this was good for shocking.

Andrew,

We added the chlor choc a couple of hours ago and have been running the filter all day. We have just taken a new reading the levels are now showing:

PH 7.8

Alkalniny 120

Free Chlor 10

Stabilizer high bet 150 - 300

Thanks Julie

[quote user="Sharkster"]I use the aquachek tru test digital meter for testing the free chlorine, total alkalinity and ph and it cost me about 50 euros from my local big mat.  It seems pretty reliable and easier than using strips along where you have to guestimate the levels.
[/quote]

Sharkster, I agree with your comments, I have been using one for the last few weeks and I am very pleased with the results. What I also find is good, it also indicates next to the reading whether it is High, Low or OK. Although it does not test cynauric acid , but as this really only needs testing possibly every 2-4 weeks there are other cheap methods of testing for this. From  a cost point of view, I agree it is very competetively priced especially if you compare it against other similat testers.

Baz

Thanks Baz and Sharkster, i will get the digital aquachek next time i go into a big town, tried all local places by me but they only sell the strips and tablets etc. The strips are really hard to read and the aquachek ones i bought are no good afer about 30 secs of taking it out of the water so you have to wait 15secs then write down your results quick!!!

I have taken more readings this morning, my pool is still green. I thought they would of remained the same as i have not added anything since the chlor choc. As waiting for futher instructions on what to do next.

PH 7.2  

F Chrlorine still at 10

Alk 80

Stablilser still off the scale at 300.

Julie

I may be wrong, but I think we the high amount of stabiliser, the chlorine may not actually be working at all.  I think a partial drain/refil may be required since this is the only was to reduce the amount of stabiliser.  Please wait for an expert opinion though.

Hi Sharkster,

I have spent some of the morning reading old posts about green pools, what a life eh!!! And that is the answer i thought as well, cant do me any harm i suppose, cant understand why the reading is so high though, i only put in the 3kg choc chlor. Anyway i am going to empty half of it today and refill from the well later today.

It took 4-5day to fill thank god the weather is bad this week, keep the kids off my back! [:D]

Julie