Well water

Hi

As a pool installer i would say no, it could cost more getting the water correct than to fill from the Tap.

if you want to fill from the well You can get the water tested at any Lab in France, or most pool companies will test the water for you.

chrish

I agree with Chris.

Well water in a pool is a definite NO No Never.

It’s not from a biological point of view although there are nitrates and phosphates problems, which can arise especially if you are in a rural area with intensive farm practices.

I would say that by far the most damming factor for the practice is that ground water brings along with it mineral deposits from the surrounding country, some of which will play havoc with your chemistry. If there is a lot of Ferrous Oxide for example then you'll find little brown/black spots appearing on the liner or the surface of your pool. You can seem to clean them off and they are definitely getting bigger says you.

If you have excessive copper the same problem and the same again with all the other heavy metals.

Getting a water test from a lab is not enough... its only a 100ml sample and might not tell the whole story for the 80,000+litres you harvest.

Don't think that it’s a saving to use this water in your pool because it isn’t... its more costly by a long way and everyone who has done it regrets it eventually.

Use the tap!

Andrew

I totally agree with Chris and Andrew.   I have a guy near me who uses well water against my advise.   I have tested his water and it is very high in nitrates and he is using a great deal of chemicals to control his pool - and suffers all of the issues that go with this.   He also has metal staining..........I could go on.   People do use well water for their pools but as you can see, it is against the advise of the professionals.   This guys builder and gardener said the well water was fine for the pool, so two great recommendations there.   Personally, I know nothing of gardening and only know what I need to know about building for spas and pools, so wouldn't dream of offering an opinion on such fields.

One of my customers topped his pool up last year with brown, slimey well water - choked the filter, the pool water was brown and it played havoc with everything! I told him politly, NOT to do it again! Bless.

Steve

When Iarrived in France we only had well water or a natural spring a kilometre away.

The installer said we could use rain water but the winter/spring was as dry as a good summer!!We weregiven 2 large infatables and eventually collected some rainwater and added well water and spring water.

The well water was tested and potable after 7 years we have had no staining of liner nor health problems so perhaps the water was ok .

Only one pump renewed probably due to a  freezing  winter in haute vienne area.