pressure on sand filter not registering--WHY???

chirpy

Hi,

I have just reconnected pump ,electrolyser etc after the winter .THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I HAVE DRAINED EVERYTHING.(In last 7years pump was  on during winter.)

WATER ON CIRCULATION TO CHECK FOR ANY LEAKS ETC,

HOWEVER NO PRESSURE SHOWING ON  SAND FILTER GUAGE!!

I HAVE HEATER AND I CAN ADJUST THIS  TO WORK

WHY??

THANKS.[8-)]

[quote user="Weegie"]Just to take Bugbear's point, I have just, today, bought a new pressure gauge as the old one was becoming erratic/knackered. = €10.  This one has lasted four years.
[/quote]

I hope fitting the new gauge cured the erratic pressure reading otherwise you may have an internal filter problem. Gauges often have erratic readings whilst there is still air trapped in the filter (assuming sand filter) they generally settle down after a while. As Bugbear says if freezing occurs it can rupture the bourdon tube in which case you would not get a reading at all, some gauges are oil filled and this usually prevents freezing.

Thanks, Teapot. The problem was that the gauge itself was defective and, amongst other things, the pointer would stick either showing some reading or none at all.  I don't think it was what you might describe as a "quality" gauge.

I have asked a supplier now what the second valve is for on the top of my Jupiter14 snd filter. Theysay this is to open to release air.

Also the pressure guage is a special one for this model and costs 22euro +TVA..

ALSO A LEAKING BOTTOM PLUG COMPLETE WITH WASHER IS 14.37EURO AND YOU CANNOT BUY WASHER ONLY!!

"o" rings the 10cm. joint used in  Clearwater electrolyser were 9euro +tva!

they recommended tying to refit afer smearing with vaseline.When the rain stops I may trythis as well as PTFE TAPE.