Heater or Abri?

Rose

Hello... we've just had our pool installed and the liner finished and it is filling nicely as I type!  Now that we've got the pool I'm thinking of ways that we can extend it's use during the year.  Me and my son are happy to swim from about 18oC upwards (well it's fine once you're in!!! [blink])  Can anyone give me their experience of solar heating, how long it extends the season and also of abri's.  Prices would be useful too if you have them. 

The pool is 10 x 5

Thanks [:D]

We have both heater and abri.  The heater is electric, and we haven't dared use it in case it runs away with the electricity bill.  The abri is worth its weight in gold.  Yes it does extend the season, but more importantly (to us) is that it keeps both the muck and insects out of the pool, which remains pretty clean and clear throughout.  It obviously also raises the temperature of the water considerably if kept closed - the water temperature in the recent hot spell reached 32º c.  Possibly not feeling particularly refreshing but a joy to play in!  (I've heard people say that a temperature that high isn't good for the liner - I can't see why, and it soon returns to a more reasonable temperature once you lose the hot sun).  Of course you can also leave garden chairs and pool "toys" in the abri throughout the summer.  So, an abri is jolly useful, but not cheap to purchase.

Chris

Rose

Welcome to the world of pool owners.

Heating is a good option its sure that one way or another you can keep the water temperature where you want.

The two issues to consider are: insulation and energy input.

Its important to have both adequately served as your pool will not get to temperature all the time without it.

Insulation is provided by. and abri (sure good choice but expensive), a floating security cover (best of all worlds), or a thermal summer cover.

Heating can be offered by Solar (least cost to install, no runnnig cost), heat pump (works all the time, cost to run), other sources of heat (many and various)

If you want details then please contact me and I'll help you if I can.

Andrew

We've got an abri and I'm not entirely convinced that I would have another. It is true that it keeps the pool clean. I clear my baskets about once a year and even then there is hardly anything in them. If you can swim in 18 I reckon you can swim from April to the end of October. It also provides good security. Horribly expensive though! It is also somewhat cumbersome and I think if I had another pool I might go for a heater and decent cover.

[quote user="ChrisnJulie"]

You Deb'n maids all be mazed anyway, from what I remember...

Chris

[/quote]

Haha... sound like the voice of experience... but it's true that's what they say! [:D] [:D] [:D]

[quote user="Rose"]

Hello... we've just had our pool installed and the liner finished and it is filling nicely as I type!  Now that we've got the pool I'm thinking of ways that we can extend it's use during the year.  Me and my son are happy to swim from about 18oC upwards (well it's fine once you're in!!! [blink])  Can anyone give me their experience of solar heating, how long it extends the season and also of abri's.  Prices would be useful too if you have them. 

The pool is 10 x 5

[/quote]

Our pool is heated by solar power- fantastic lets us swim so much earlier (April - October/November) depending on our weather temps. Costs are minimal - installation is reasonable if you shop around, love to have a swim at 18C sets you up for the day, however, more enjoyable at 22C+  Abri's no - too much glass to clean for my OH. www.navitron.org.uk is who we sourced to install our pool heating.

Message from Mods ! Comments or questions regarding the general administration of the forum should be made by "private message" or using the "Report" link to the moderators or direct to Forum Admin. Such comments or questions should not be posted in the open forum.

• 10 months later...
[quote user="Apero"][quote user="Rose"]

The pool is 10 x 5

[/quote]

Our pool is heated by solar power- fantastic lets us swim so much earlier (April - October/November) depending on our weather temps. Costs are minimal - installation is reasonable if you shop around, love to have a swim at 18C sets you up for the day, however, more enjoyable at 22C+  Abri's no - too much glass to clean for my OH. www.navitron.org.uk is who we sourced to install our pool heating.

Message from Mods ! Comments or questions regarding the general administration of the forum should be made by "private message" or using the "Report" link to the moderators or direct to Forum Admin. Such comments or questions should not be posted in the open forum.

[/quote]

yeah solar swimming pools do work well I have had one installed in cambridge where I live by this www.aztec-solar-water-heating.com/ company