HOLE IN ROMAN STEPS

PeterCD

A few days ago I notice a small hole in the corner of one of the steps. It is quite clearly where the gell coat/GRP was not thick enough (seen it on boats many times). Does anyone know if there is a repair "medium"? I have searched the web and there seems to be an epoxy mix which can be used underwater (I am not prepared to empty half the pool to get to the hole).

Be awaire that your pool may well not be epoxy but polyester resin! If that is the case then epoxy may not bond with it.

If it is a polyester resin pool then your only recourse will be to drain te pool down to below the level of the hole, dry it thoroughly, roughen up the surround and do the repair from there.

If it is an epoxy pool then it is probably a very expensive one and I would doubt that there would be any 'thin' parts on it? Epoxy is much more expensive than polyester, stronger and more flexible but probably not the first choice for a pool producer.

Water is a precious comodity, but if you want a complete repaire it may well be the most cost effective way to go. It ain't that expensive after all me thinks?

Why not try abrading the area under water ,then apply the  underwater epoxy compound.

Ensure you brush it on with a very stiff brush as this will help push away some of the water from the surface and assist adhesion of the epoxy.

Some of the product will float away ,so an old pool net just above the repair area will collect some of this.

I am a long time retired chemist and used to make underwater curing epoxies--50% of the product may stick and the rest float away.-but an option worth trying.

I REMEMBER IN 1962 USING THIS TYPE OF PRODUCT IN A HILTON HOTEL POOL IN THE WEST INDIES.

p.s.and the swimmers  did not stick to the bottom>[:D]

Why thank you TP! That was the only was that I could find to get a set of steps in our pool. I searched for ages before I bit the bullet and made them. 

5 foot radius, 10 sq meters of chopped strand mat, 5 or so litres on polyester resin, 1 of top coat, christ knows how much 50mm plastic piping and the joints and about 10 weeks work!

When it first went in the pool it floated even though it took 2 of us to lift the blasted thing. That was because the pipework was full of air. My mate was in the pool and, not have any sense of humour, he wouldn't take my mains drill and drill some holes to let the air out[Www] . I had to do that with my battery drill instead.

If you do get going then PM or e-mail me and I will give you some details of how I did it...[:D]