Swimming pools and insurance

Hetj

Has anyone had a problem claiming on their insurance due to damage caused by the tempest early on in the year.  We had an expensive heavy duty winter pool cover put on our pool at our holiday home (near Clermont l'Herault) last November and believed our UK based insurance - which we had researched long and hard - covered this item. Now having had damage - effectively the storm shredded the edges away so it is written off! - we have had several phone calls to the insurers, who first said we should claim for the pool cover although the pool fence wasn't covered (and we knew the latter, anyway!), and then got a letter and second call (different person) saying it wasn't.  The policy wording upon scrutiny is VERY open to interpretation although when we read it originally we thought it covered such items.  On appealing to the insurance company they are now saying (bizarrely!) that if we can show others have claimed successfully on their insurance for such damage to pools after the tempest they'll consider paying! 

Anyone had damage like this during the tempest, any similar experience, or an offer any help here? Would also welcome ideas on where to go for my renewal to cover some pool cover at least???!!!

If you have combined buildings and contents Insurance then this removeable item may well come under contents rather than buildings. It may be that the Buildings Insurers specifically exludes garden features (Walls etc) unless damaged by the same Insured event as the fabric of the buildings. The contents Insurer may take the view that the item is covered as would garden furniture etc. in many cases.

I would also go back to the supplier and sugest that a pool cover should be designed to cover the pool in poor weather and consequently may not be fit for purpose....I believe there is a European directive re fitness for purpose which confers a two year period within which an item can be returned but am not sure on the details.

Some friends of hours lost their very heavy, hinged pool covers in the storm and have made a successful claim but using a French company. We are in 31 Haute Garronne but it was the same storm. If you want to e-mail me your details I will ask them to contact you directly. I am sure they would be willing to help.

Thanks very much for your helpful ideas and suggestion. We have scoured our insurance and think we will try and push it as contents within boundary of property (n fact ot is surrounded on theree sides by our house and the neighbours. Also damage was caused by a natural catastrophe (as long as I can show it was declared so by President Sarkosy) and this should be covered.  Thanks again.  Het

Were the subject matter of any claim directly attributable to actions by A.N. Other (No offence Ernie) then the other party Deity or not may be held liable under subbrogation and a settlement pursued.

Problem with Deities is that they tend to operate on the principal of eternal reward (Or infernal for those going downstairs)