bubble covers repair

chirpy

Hi,I have a bubble cover about 7 years old and after the top cover which was used to cover up the rolled up bubble wrap and roller during the day had disintegrated and teared. I continued without a protective cover for the bubble wrap.

Yes I know in hind sight I should have replaced it, but in last 2 years the bubble wrap cover has started to disintegrate.

Question -What is the plastic sheet made of sold at Brico's?   -pvc or polyethylene -nothing on label and what is bubble wrap made from as I have attempted to stick a plastic sheet to the end of the roll of bubble wrap but clear plastic sheet did not stick!!!!!

I used a selant mastic claimed to siick pvc flexible sheets.[8-)]

thanks.

These covers don't last forever, with/without the protective cover

It's nigh on impossible to effect a worthwhile repair

New covers are pricey - as the plastic has to be resistant to the chems in the water & the weather, and also because anything to do with pools is expensive!

Seven years for a bubble cover is a long time. If it is disintegrating I would recommend removing it straight away before bits start entering your filter system. Bubble covers come in various qualities and different microns but are not too expensive to replace. I have just replaced my cover in the UK after 5 years with the best quality bubble cover for a pool 12x4 metres for about £130, so I would suspect French prices may be cheaper. 

Baz

A NEW ONE HERE FOR 10X4.5 METRE AND ROMAN END IS 430EURO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO I AM TO EXPERIMENT WITH SOME BUBBLE WRAP STUCK TO EXISTING BUBBLE WRAP AND HOPEIT IS MADE OF PVC AS THE SHEET PLASTIC I TRIED MUST HAVE BEEN POLYETHYLENE AS IT HAD NO ADHESION

WHO IS UK SUPPLIER?? .[:(]

The bubble covers are made from polyethylene.  Very difficult to bond with adhesive unless pretreated (not really a practical proposition at home).  A fusion weld is effective - but is rather tricky to do.  You might have success with something like the edge of an iron with a PTFE coated base.  Melting point of PE is around 130C but you need rather more than this for a fusion weld.  Practice on an offcut first.

The cheap plastic tarpaulin type covers are usually made from oriented PP or possibly HDPE that are woven and tack welded together, then sewn around the edge.  Same problems regarding adhesives, except that the surface texture will lend more mechanical grip (but I wouldn't rely on it).

UV resistance of polyolefins (PE and PP) is not particularly good, especially if thin and made from transluscent or transparent material.  UV stabilisers are added to give some protection but will not last more than a few years.  Using a cheap plastic tarpaulin cover on the rolled up bubble cover when not on the pool is a must as far as I am concerned. 

Never pay extra for a bubble cover with a Roman end or whatever (not if your handy with a pair of scissors anyway) as they are so easy to cut to shape yourself.

Dave  

Thanks Baz,

my cover is a bubble wrap around the perimeter edgeswith another thick plastic which is stitched to hold the bubble wrap in place.

I have bought a new 10x2 metre white plastic to wrap the bubble wrap when it is on the roller to protect it .however the first 1-2 metre which is the top of the rolled up bubble wrap is the worst ,the remaining bubble wrap in reasonable condition .

I will be trying totemporary stick some more bubble wrap for the roman end of the pool but if unsuccessfull then I will live without the end protection and loose some heat overnight.

i cannot afford the outlay  of a new bubble wrap--perhaps when the pound gets as strong as last year and my pension converted into euro is better aga

SOME HOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AS LIKELY AS THE MEN FROM MARS ARRIVING TO REPAIR MY BUBBLE WRAP.

BLUE PETER BADGE NOT AWARDED TO ME [:D][:P]YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was in our local Tridom, Carcassonne a couple of days back and they had summer covers, ubble wrap type, for pools and they started from not a lot over 100€ for an 8 X 4 pool if I saw the measurement correctly. So they are not that expensive to replace?

Ours is 4 years plus old and it hasn't been used a lot for nearly 3 of those because we have a floating roller safety cover. It is always covered with a white cover when it's on the roller. I had to replace the white cover and even at pool shop prices it was only 16€ for a really heavy duty cover. Well worth the outlay!