BIO-UV

mjw

Polly

I think that you will find that the rules still apply, even though only one family is using the pool, because they are being charged for the priviledge - albeit that there are somewhat abridge version and its fairly certain that the DDASS will never visit for a test.

My remarks pertain mainly to a disgruntled client who might the seek redress for getting an infection from the pool.  For if tested in court, then your pool owner will struggle to deny responsibility with the system he has. It can happen so easily and will certainly be brought to his attention by his well healed clientelle.

Good luck

Andrew

[quote user="Polly"]Andrew, it's a one family house, so the pool doesn't come within the definition of a public pool (see Chrish's thread DDASS visit earlier this year)

However I agree with you that a total overhaul would be an excellent idea, for a start the filter is a big problem, and should be changed for something more effective. Owner says funds are limited (aren't they always?) but at least he has agreed to research into options and costings at the end of the season.

Teapot, sorry I don't have the figures here, they are on site. Pool is 1m50 deep. It's a recommended method I'm after, preferably from someone who has experience of handling a similar situation as it's not dealt with on any of the suppliers websites (no surprise there, they wouldn't want to admit that there could be any problems!) We can work out quantities/details.
[/quote]

Polly, just to put you in the picture, I have just left a job to drive home to answer this post.

Owner says "funds are limited" There is a big difference between can't afford it and won't afford it! Owner can't afford the lawyers bill if some one contracts crypto or gardia or e-coli or hepatitis etc.

The volume of the pool is around 100m3, really need those other water figures.

Is the UV actually working or worn out?

You currently have an un-sanitary green pool with guests arriving, if you do not act very quickly you will have a green swamp and with the system you are using you will have no option but to drain and re-fill.

You need to add copper sulphate algaecide to the amount I posted earlier, not quatenary ammonium. Even dare I say it "Pristine Blue" if you can get it otherwise see if the pharmacist has it or can mix some up for you but you do need to act!

Teapot, don't worry the pool is it's usual lovely self again, (nb not bright blue as it's a cream liner). I thank you for your consideration and time. maybe some time when I remember to bring the notebook home I can pm you the figures and we can talk details.

I was asking the forum for info for future use as I couldn't find it anywhere else.

The owner was forced into a drain down & refill situation last Friday and luckily for him due to flight times and the first rain we have had for weeks the outgoing/incoming guests were not unduly inconvenienced. I had already got alternative accommodation lined up for the new people if nec (at owner's expense) but again luckily for him it wasn't needed.

We just need to keep it going until the end of the month now......

He had the same trouble last year, the system worked for a while and then GREEN pool

Radical rethink is on the to-do list before next season, he can't go on like this and we certainly won't touch it unless something is done.

• 4 months later...

MJW

JUST JOINED THIS FORUM.

I have had a BIO UV Pool since 2005. Maintenance is easy. If you are still interested and have a BIO UV pool , will let you have details of annual maintenance. My pool has never turned green as long as the UV light (average life is some 8000 hours) is on when water temp. is 15 or above.

Alan