Slippery floor tiles

nick16

We have an open veranda next to our swimming pool, and the floor tiles which are ceramic are like an ice rink when wet. The floor area is about 30 square metres, so replacing the tiles would be an expensive option. Can anyone reommend a product that could be applied to the tiles, making them safer. I am putting this post in both 'swimming pool' and 'renovations'

A thin coat of epoxy resin on clean dry tiles, sprinkled with salt whilst the resin is wet will give a good non-slip finish.

The salt washes away when its all dry and leaves no residue.

Sand can also be used but it stays in the resin and looks dirty very quickly.

Hope this is of use.

I f you mix the sand with the epoxy ,then the surface will not look as dirty .depending on size and quantity you add ,naturally.

I would recommend 10% of sand and try a small patch first to see if you are happy with it.

From a retired paint technologist.

BETTER TO HAVE A SLIGHTLY DIRTY APPEARANCE THANA TRIP TO THE HOSPITAL[:D]

p.s. forgot  to say that you should abrade the surface first to help the adhesion of whatever product you choose ,otherwise it will eventually peel off.

Mixing the non slip material saves you having to walk over the wet oaint to sprinkle the non slip material.otherwise you will be buying new shoes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you get around to replacing tiles then buy the porous non slip type.

I have had a pool with these tile for ten years without accident,but there is an adjoining area where smooth non absorbent tiles were laid and these are a death trap for the unwary.