Using flocculants with cartridge filters

Florence

This year we had built a Waterair celine 10 pool with cartridge filter system.  Despite following all waterair's written instructions and only using their supplies, we have black coloured "dust" forming at the bottom of the pool.  We contacted our local pool store (the waterair rep gives no urgency, if at all, in replying to us now) and they recommended using a fairly new chemical called Flovin.   I have researched this product and the manufacturers say it is a completely safe flocculant for cartridge filters.  In their service manual (printed at least five years ago), Waterair warns never use flocculants as they will clog the filtration cartridge (but of course only use their supplies).  We want to resolve this "dust" problem, who should we believe?  Has anyone resolved this same "dust" problem?

Yes well yet another Customer gets the bum's rush from Waterair! Not at all surprised, as it is the norm for this company once they got your money- that's all she wrote.

I'm with Another on this issue,  as flocculant will not help but rather hinder your pool performance as it will further slow down if not stop altogether their already feeble circulation system, as so your pool will go green - even quicker.

So if you have 'dust' on the bottom, be it white, brown or what ever colour, then vacuum it to waiste is the best solution.

Of course you can always change your system of filtration all together to make your pool water always transparent clean clean clean.

[IMG]http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss285/andrewhenderson/Internalsteps.jpg[/IMG]

I realise that this is a bit unfair as its certainly water clarity that you will never see with your system, but I just wanted to show you what's possible.

Good luck

Andrew

Flocculants are used in mineral technology to assist deposition of fine particles as for example gold in heap leaching. The flocculated material will just block the filter solid. Flocculants are sometimes used as a suspended blanket in water treatment and sewage plants but the circulation regime has to be closely controlled to keep the flocculant blanket stable.I honestly cant see it being much use in a pool with irregular flow paths, idiots tombstoning into the pool from 4 metre high step ladders, etc, all causing turbulence; flocculants like steady flow environments.[:)]