Latest Healthcare Entitlement Discussions

Ask your local CPAM office. Either go in and see them or phone. It's the only way you'll be sure how your specific situation will be "treated". This is France. Interpretation and application of the rules may vary from department to department. For anyone who may be affected by this issue and is concerned about it, it is surely the most sensible course of action. If you wait and see, you may have less time to make alternative arrangements, should that be necessary.

The legislation concerning the qualifications for state heathcare affiliation applies to every caisse in France. 

The Ministry of Social Security has confirmed that existing assured persons will continue to be covered and they will have issued clear and precise instructions to all of the caisses to that effect.  There is no question of individual CPAM offices putting their own interpretation on the regulations.

You all constantly moan about French burocracy - well, that is how burocracy works....

If income is not sufficient to entitle you to subscribe into CMU, if you are not working under retirement age, does anybody know how the relevant authorities would interpret 'income' from company pensions schemes? I am guessing that will fall into the same category, and preclude you from being able to subscribe into CMU.

I think you may be right, Grecian, but only if you are not an existing CMU subscriber (see SD's post, above - he usually has his finger on the pulse and his posts are rarely speculative.)  However, income from company pension schemes is taxed here and is reflected in your RFR so is already taken into account when your contributions are calculated (I know, because that is my position.)

What is unclear (and many things still are) is what will happen to those who are currenly here under E106's, when they expire.  I suspect that they will be excluded too, as they have never actually contributed.

[quote user="cooperlola"]

What is unclear (and many things still are) is what will happen to those who are currenly here under E106's, when they expire.  I suspect that they will be excluded too, as they have never actually contributed.

[/quote]

As this is one of the 'speculation permitted' threads I will add my bit!

I suspect you may well be right but if that is the situation I think they would have a case to argue that, as they were accepted for 'residency' under the (now) old rules, they had a reasonable expectation of being able to join the CMU and should be permitted to do so when the E106 cover expires.  Mind you if this has to be fought for it may well come down to the number affected and whether there are enough to bring sufficient pressure to bear.

Of course, the answer is for those in that position to find out the official attitude to their personal position as early as possible so they can decide a course of action. If they are told they will be excluded they can use this forum to contact people in similar circumstances and consult each other on what to do next.

cooperola once again thanks for the swift reply.

I ask the above question, as at the moment we still live in the UK, and were proposing to move across sometime next year. As I have posted previously we are both below UK retirement age. My wife will be entitled to an E121 due to her receiving long-term incapacity payments, and I have been told by Newcastle that I can piggyback her E121, but the French authorities are under no obligation to accept me the French end.

If we were still to make the move, and for any reason her incapacity payments were stopped the UK end, as we keep hearing noises from the UK government, with their proposed welfare to work scheme, we would be left exposed in France with no healthcare. As my wife has many ailments including being an insulin-dependent diabetic, for one, to be without access to CMU would be a total non-starter.

I know I would then have the option of trying to find employment in France, but with the current unemployment rate, and a 50 something person, with not exactly, at the moment a total grasp of the French language, I think I would find it hard to achieve this.

I know that we would both have to pay income tax on both our UK company pensions in France, as they are not government pensions, then I would have thought we should be allowed to subscribe to CMU, but I guess I am just biased!

My replies are swift at the moment because I am nursing a damaged ankle and can't get out into the garden!

I have not heard of anybody who is entitled to an E121, being refused entry into the CMU thus far.  I think this is Newcastle covering their backs.  If the UK pays (which is what happens with E121s) then they tend to take the money and say, thanks.  Again, anecdotal evidence would be useful.  Anybody?  Throughout all this, it has been stated again and again, by both French and UK authorities, that E form holders are unaffected.  That is the one protection under EU law.

If you are in any doubt about the continuation of your wife's disabiltity cover at the UK end, then, yes, you are sensible to ensure that she is likely to continue to receive it.  Whatever, your approach in making sure that you are covered before you jump is the sensible one.  I am sure that the next few weeks will provide us with a good deal more evidence as to what your situation might be.