Private Insurance Requirements

Having had a further look as the requirements for Private Health Insurance they are actually totally ludicrous.  Ignoring the consideration that no insurance company on earth would provide such a policy, they also require far better cover than is provided by the state healthcare (i.e. as under the CMU or however you subscribe).  Bit of a nerve that and as such I'm beginning to wonder what the underlying issues might actually be here (or maybe I'm just paranoid or feeding conspiracy theories).  Does make one wonder why the cover the FR gov. is requiring you to take out is so much more extensive than they provide themselves !!

Ian

Ian,

Can you please tell us where to find the health insurance requirements? 

I asked at my local AXA office a few days ago and the lady at 'head office' said that they had no product to offer us.  However, the local office staff said that if other companies offer health insurance, AXA would probably follow suit.

Regards,

Phil.

[quote user="Phil and Pat"]Ian,

Can you please tell us where to find the health insurance requirements? 

[/quote]

Somebody (Boiling a Frog, part way down http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/26/1023612/ShowPost.aspx#1023612) posted them in a thread a couple of days ago.  I found them on LegiFrance.fr but whenever I cave a link from that site, 5 mins later it stops working with a "session expired" error - thus I cannot give links to the "source" (if anybody know how to do this then let me know - but I always have to use the Advanced search to find them as the Article numbers always seem to provide loads of Articles with the same reference on loads of unrelated topics.

It is quite a requirement and I would not expect any private insurance company to even come close to offering what is required.

Ian

I share your difficulties with www.legifrance.gouv.fr.

As I understand it, the terms of the insurance required are contained in articles L121-1 and R121-4 of the Code de l'Entree et du Sejour des Etrangers, which in turn refers for its definition of assurance maladie to articles L321-1 and L331-2 of the Code de la Securite Sociale. 

L 321-1

L'assurance maladie comporte :

1º) La couverture des frais de

médecine générale et spéciale, des frais de soins et de prothèses

dentaires, des frais pharmaceutiques et d'appareils, des frais

d'analyses et d'examens de laboratoire, y compris la couverture des

frais relatifs aux actes d'investigation individuels, des frais

d'hospitalisation et de traitement dans des établissements de soins, de

réadaptation fonctionnelle et de rééducation ou d'éducation

professionnelle, ainsi que des frais d'interventions chirurgicales

nécessaires pour l'assuré et les membres de sa famille, au sens fixé

par l'article L. 313-3, y compris la couverture des médicaments,

produits et objets contraceptifs et des frais d'analyses et d'examens

de laboratoire ordonnés en vue de prescriptions contraceptives ;

2º) La couverture des frais de transport de l'assuré ou des ayants

droit se trouvant dans l'obligation de se déplacer pour recevoir les

soins ou subir les examens appropriés à leur état ainsi que pour se

soumettre à un contrôle prescrit en application de la législation de

sécurité sociale, selon les règles définies par les articles L. 162-4-1

et L. 322-5 et dans les conditions et limites tenant compte de l'état

du malade et du coût du transport fixées par décret en Conseil d'Etat ;

3º La couverture, sur décision de la commission mentionnée à

l'article L. 146-9 du code de l'action sociale et des familles, des

frais d'hébergement et de traitement des enfants ou adolescents

handicapés dans les établissements mentionnés au 2º et au 12º du I de

l'article L. 312-1 du même code ainsi que celle des frais de traitement

concourant à leur éducation dispensée en dehors de ces établissements,

à l'exception de la partie de ces frais incombant à l'Etat en

application des articles L. 112-1 à L. 112-4, L. 123-4-1, L. 351-1 à

L. 351-3 et L. 352-1 du code de l'éducation ;

4º) La couverture

des frais de soins et d'hospitalisation afférents à l'interruption

volontaire de grossesse effectuée dans les conditions prévues à la

section I du chapitre III bis du titre Ier du livre II du code de la

santé publique ;

5º) L'octroi d'indemnités journalières à

l'assuré qui se trouve dans l'incapacité physique constatée par le

médecin traitant, selon les règles définies par l'article L. 162-4-1,

de continuer ou de reprendre le travail ; l'incapacité peut être

également constatée, dans les mêmes conditions, par la sage-femme dans

la limite de sa compétence professionnelle et pour une durée fixée par

décret ; toutefois, les arrêts de travail prescrits à l'occasion d'une

cure thermale ne donnent pas lieu à indemnité journalière, sauf lorsque

la situation de l'intéressé le justifie suivant des conditions fixées

par décret.

6º) La couverture des frais relatifs aux actes

et traitements à visée préventive réalisés dans le cadre des programmes

mentionnés à l'article L. 1411-6 du code de la santé publique, et

notamment des frais relatifs aux examens de dépistage et aux

consultations de prévention effectués au titre des programmes prévus

par l'article L. 1411-2 du même code ainsi que des frais afférents aux

examens prescrits en application de l'article L. 2121-1 du même code et

aux vaccinations dont la liste est fixée par arrêté des ministres

chargés de la santé et de la sécurité sociale ;

7º) (Abrogé) ;

8º) (Abrogé) ;

9º) La couverture des frais relatifs à l'examen de prévention

bucco-dentaire mentionné à l'article L. 2132-2-1 du code de la santé

publique.

L331-2 refers to maternity cover:

L'assurance maternité couvre l'ensemble des frais médicaux,

pharmaceutiques, d'analyse et d'examens de laboratoires, d'appareils et

d'hospitalisation relatifs ou non à la grossesse, à l'accouchement et à

ses suites, intervenant au cours d'une période définie par décret.

Lorsque l'accouchement a lieu avant le début de cette période,

l'assurance maternité prend en charge l'ensemble des frais mentionnés

ci-dessus à compter de la date d'accouchement et jusqu'à l'expiration

de ladite période.

L'assurance maternité couvre également :

1º Les frais d'examens prescrits en application du deuxième alinéa

de l'article L. 2122-1 et des articles L. 2122-3 et L. 2132-2 du code

de la santé publique ;

2º Les autres frais médicaux,

pharmaceutiques, d'analyses et d'examens de laboratoires, d'appareils

et d'hospitalisation relatifs à la grossesse, à l'accouchement et à ses

suites, dont la liste est fixée par arrêté du ministre chargé de la

sécurité sociale.

I have been quoted for three levels of Private health insurance by AGF from basic hospital cover to all singing and dancing policy, bottom line about 1500 euros per person hospital cover up to 5200 euros per person for everything. Presumably they know what they are doing as they were doing this prior to CMU setting up, so I would imagine that the policy you chose is up to you even if its just the basic. Hope that helps. Think I will be job hunting personally, hate Insurance companies.

[quote user="Lenht1951"]

I have been quoted for three levels of Private health insurance by AGF from basic hospital cover to all singing and dancing policy, bottom line about 1500 euros per person hospital cover up to 5200 euros per person for everything. Presumably they know what they are doing as they were doing this prior to CMU setting up, so I would imagine that the policy you chose is up to you even if its just the basic. Hope that helps. Think I will be job hunting personally, hate Insurance companies.

[/quote]

I'd check with them very carefully.  I spent a long time with AGF earlier this year trying to get a boat insurance policy to comply with French law - not easy and they (the main company, not the agent) seemed totally unaware of the legal considerations for different vessels and the legal French requirements for doing certain types of sailing event.  Thus, their health offerings might not comply, particularly given the dates on the rquirement documents in relation to the introduction of the CMU.

Maybe ask them if it covers all contraceptives, all preventative checks, taxi's to and from hospital, etc., etc.

Ian

[quote user="lacote0_0"]

As I understand it, the terms of the insurance required are contained in articles L121-1 and R121-4 of the Code de l'Entree et du Sejour des Etrangers, which in turn refers for its definition of assurance maladie to articles L321-1 and L331-2 of the Code de la Securite Sociale. 

[/quote]

Is this some sort of  "one size fits all"  insurance requirement? 

I can't see me needing insurance to cover inability to return to work, contraceptives, pregnancy, childbirth, treatment of children, etc.  Surely the insurance risks (and needs) of a retired male would be quite different from a working female?

Phil.

[quote user="Clair"]My guess is that the description is based on what is offered by the Sécurité Sociale and that nobody has bothered to check that such cover does not exist outside their little world...

[/quote]

But the state healthcare does not offer that level of cover.  The documents above describe a higher level of cover that provided by CMU/CPAM/State Healthcare.

Ian

Why do you say that? I think that the state cover embraces all these things up to certain limits with qualifications (hence all the referrals to other clauses and regulations) For some things theres only minimal coverage 30% for some medicines for example and for others such as dental prostheses the defined cost is low but they are covered.

I think you're correct that most (all?) private insurances in Europe will fall short.

[quote user="Helen"]

Why do you say that? I think that the state cover embraces all these things up to certain limits with qualifications (hence all the referrals to other clauses and regulations) For some things theres only minimal coverage 30% for some medicines for example and for others such as dental prostheses the defined cost is low but they are covered.

I think you're correct that most (all?) private insurances in Europe will fall short.

[/quote]

For example, if I visit my GP the State Healthcare will cover it only to the extent of 70% (I think) - anyway, certainly not close to 100%.  Private Health insurance is required to cover it to the extent of 100% - quite a lot more.  Same for perscriptions, only state pays less, etc.  Thus, the FR gov are requiring your private insurance to provide a better level of cover than they provide.

Ian

I'm not sure that you can read the clause in isolation ... it shows the scope of the coverage, a later clase defines the amount which is  then interpreted by decret which changes the percentages from year to year. This year:

La participation de l'assuré prévue au I de l'article L. 322-2 est fixée par le conseil de l'Union nationale des caisses d'assurance maladie dans les limites suivantes :

1° De 15 à 25 % pour les frais d'honoraires des praticiens et auxiliaires médicaux afférents aux soins dispensés au cours d'une hospitalisation dans un établissement de santé public ou privé ainsi que les frais d'analyses ou de laboratoires afférents à des soins dispensés dans les mêmes conditions ;

2° De 15 à 25 % du tarif de responsabilité de la caisse pour les frais d'hospitalisation dans un établissement de santé public ou privé ;

3° De 25 à 35 % pour les frais d'honoraires des praticiens, sauf pour ceux qui sont mentionnés au 1° ci-dessus ;

4° De 35 à 45 % pour les frais d'honoraires des auxiliaires médicaux, sauf pour ceux qui sont mentionnés au 1° ci-dessus ;

5° De 35 à 45 % pour les frais d'analyses ou de laboratoires, sauf pour ceux qui sont mentionnés au 1° ci-dessus ;

6° De 60 à 70 % pour les médicaments principalement destinés au traitement des troubles ou affections sans caractère habituel de gravité et pour les médicaments dont le service médical rendu, tel que défini au I de l'article R. 163-3 , n'a pas été classé en application du 6° de l'article R. 163-18 comme majeur ou important ;

7° De 60 à 70 % pour les spécialités homéopathiques, dès lors qu'elles sont inscrites sur la liste établie en application du premier alinéa de l'article L. 162-17 et pour les préparations homéopathiques répondant aux conditions définies au 11° de l'article L. 5121-1 du code de la santé publique prises en charge par l'assurance maladie ;

8° de 30 à 40 % pour les frais de produits et prestations figurant sur la liste mentionnée à l'article L. 165-1 ;

9° de 30 à 40 % pour les frais de transport prévus au 2° de l'article L. 321-1 ;

10° de 30 à 40 % pour les frais de soins thermaux dispensés dans un établissement thermal ;

11° de 30 à 40 % pour tous les autres frais.

Thats why you need top up insurance.

[quote user="Deimos"]... the State Healthcare will cover it only to the extent of 70% (I think) - anyway, certainly not close to 100%.  Private Health insurance is required to cover it to the extent of 100% - quite a lot more.  Same for perscriptions, ...[/quote]

Except, of course, for conditions on the list for 100% cover -- precisely the (pre-existing or pre-disposed) conditions for which insurance is unobtainable.

[quote user="Helen"]I'm not sure that you can read the clause in isolation ... it shows the scope of the coverage, a later clase defines the amount which is  then interpreted by decret which changes the percentages from year to year.

[/quote]

That would mean the private insurance policies also have to change every year.  Given that many will be from non-French companies (i.e. companies who already offer Private Health Insurance because ther eis a market in their main countries of operation - unlike France).

I cannot see how that would work.  Nightmare to administer, particularly as policies would be starting and ending continuously through the year.

Ian

I am sorry but I am finding this difficult to understand. Are we saying that the French government have passed a law defining a requirement for residency regarding private insurance that in practices will be impossible to achieve.

If that is a case then surely that must be against some law?

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Glyn,

Re : 'are we saying...':    Yes. And plus, there is, in general,  no provision of private health insurance in France, although some companies may chose to regard this problem as an opportunity and may quote for some cover, which will not be comprehensive. Pre-existing conditions are un-insurable.

re:  : 'against some law..'  maybe, but they have done it in any case.

Happy days.