hi, first timer here,

moved to france in 2003-no problem joining health system.Offered CMU because of low income. Was in CMU in november of last year. Now, because my'early' pension has taken our income over some limit that I am not aware of ,CMU has been withdrawn. We have operational carte vitales. Also, we have a 19yr old daughter in fulltime education who is having to pay for her prescriptions_is this correct?

No it is not correct.  What should happen is that you go from CMU compelmentaire to CMU de base and begin to pay. If you were in the system on 23rd November 2007, then you should be allowed to stay in it. 

As far as your daughter is concerned, students are treated differently but without knowing more details, I would imagine she should be classified as your dependent still.

You don't come under Fougeres CPAM, by any chance do you?

Thank you very much. Refused CMU de base but really unsure of reason. Told to get private 'top_up' insurance which we did today because can't stand the uncertainty any more. Daughter is away at college in week so needed to be sure she would be cared for. Our grasp of french is pretty  good but am mentally exhausted with all this and feel I've just thrown in the towel. We are with Guingamp CPAM(dept.22)

I understand the throwing in the towel bit; I've felt like that at times!   I will pm you in the morning (have spent most of today on this subject already!), and we'll see if we can help you a little more.  If you are approaching five years' residence, then you are very nearly in the clear, but I'll have to do more research on how your daughter should be covered.

Bon courage, don't give up yet!