Hi

Hoping someone can help us.

We live in Languedoc, near Carcassonne, and last August we were advised by a person at our local CPAM that they had copies of all the  necessary documents and we qualified for our Carte Vitales. We were advised that we all we had to do was to complete the necessary forms which we would receive soon afterwards in the mail.

However, soon afterwards the 'Inactif' issue arose so we were not surprised when we did not receive the forms.

Given that this 'Inactif' situation has now been resolved and we are once again in the system, as fully paid up members of CPAM, we thought that we would ask for our Carte Vitales again.

Today I recieved an e-mail stating that as we have a provisional social security number we cannot have Carte Vitales. However we can continue to use the attestation that we have recently obtained at the local CPAM which is valid till 2024!

My question is how do we move this forward and get 'definitif ' social security numbers?

Thanks for any help offered

Kitty

I guess that you are on an E106 and if you are, some CPAM's will not issue a Carte Vitale until they expire and you reapply to be admitted to CPAM.

It was nearly two years before we received our CV's from Agen, just use the attestations and send off the paper forms to CPAM for reimbursement.

Hi Les

Our E106 finished in Jan 07, hence my anxiety. Did it take you 2 years from the time your E106 expired to get your CV's? If so, then this is maybe the norm and I just have to be patient.

Thanks for your help

Kitty

Hi Kitty

We are in the same position as you. No CV since Jan 07 (when our E106 expired) but we have a working attestation. I have asked when CV will be forthcoming at the local CPAM office to be told I have to wait and this lenghth of time is normal for foreigners. I have just written to head office in Toulouse to ask if this is really the case. I will let you know if I get a reply.

• 2 weeks later...
Kitty - The letter I sent to Toulouse was replied to by our local office in St Gaudens today. It said that they needed my birth certificate. This may sound like progress but I have already taken my birth certificate into that office four times to date so I am not holding my breath.

Yes I have a full, legible, UK birth certificate. After my first submission they complained that the copy was not legible (made on their copier!). I am not sure what they did with the next three copies. I will take a clearly scanned copy to them next week and let you know what happens. Meanwhile my attestation is getting rather tatty and dog-eared. I must say I have nothing but praise for the health care we have received and even the CPAM staff are extremely friendly. Just no Carte Vitale yet. Still, having worked in the Middle East for a long time, French bureaucracy is a breeze in comparison. 

Further info for Kitty. I telephoned CPAM and made an appointment with the person named as asking for my birth certificate. I went there today to speak to her and she was very helpful and friendly. She explained that when the E106 runs out they collect all the information required and send it to Paris where an orginisation checks the details, issues a new social security number and gives the go ahead to process the carte vital. My complete dossier had been sent back for the second time simply marked "copies not legible". We went through everything carefully and it turned out that they could not read my name on the ORIGINAL birth certificate because it was handwritten (probably before the typewriter was invented!). This seemed an insurmountable problem to me but she got around it by providing a certified translation of the document. I guess the moral is that you must go in and speak to them. If I had done nothing I think I would have waited forever.

Good luck with yours.

Mik

Many thanks for the info - the morale of the tale suggests another visit to the dreaded CPAM - we went 2 weeks ago - on a day they decided to close - it's never easy is it? Thanks again Kitty

• 3 months later...
Kitty - At last I have my carte vitale. Well almost. During the last of a number of regular visits to CPAM I was told my my number has changed and I would soon get my CV. I would need to provide a photo and some ID. No problem because I had my "its all in here file" so I produced said requirements. No no I had to go home and wait for them to ask me for them. I wait with bated breath.

Hi Mik

Thanks for the update.

We too have some news - we visited our local CPAM in early July when we

were told that my birth certificate was unclear! The lady photocopied

it several times before she was happy she had a good copy and then said

that we would have application forms for our CV's in a few weeks. We

were amazed but happy! However, none came.  So we went back in mid August

and the very same lady told us that we had temporary numbers and we

would have to wait - there was nothing she could do. We were amazed

again! But we left, despondent, not wanting to argue and perhaps hinder

things even further! The good news is that, about 10 days ago, we each

received a letter with details of our DoB's and birthplaces, asking for

us to sign these forms as being accurate and attaching recent photos - however they still showed our temporary numbers! So

perhaps we will receive our CV's too - we will wait and see - everything is crossed needless to say. We'll let you know if we are successful.

Kitty

Hi Mik

Unbelieveable - guess what - we received our CV's on Friday!!! [:D]

Many thanks for sharing your experiences with us - it helped us cope with our own frustrations - hopefully you'll have your CV's very soon too

Kitty

• 1 month later...
Where did you get the certified translation done of the birth certificate. a friend who I am helping with the CV has received a letter asking for d'une copie integrale et lisible de l'acte de naissance (certified copy of an entry of birth). Any ideas.

Suey

Hi

We used the following translator in Toulouse (given to us by the Tribunal de Grande Instance in St Gaudens) when we required official translations of our Birth certificates.  He charged Euros: 25 per Birth Certificate and was very efficient. 

Mr Sylvain GIUSTI

15 Impasse de Saint Martory

31100 Toulouse

Hope he can help.

Regards

Bertiebe

• 3 weeks later...

Today I received a letter from CPAM asking me for "un acte de naissance integral" - I took it to mean that they required an unabridged version rather than certified translation.  Can someone help shed some light on that?  Getting the certificate translated from Polish is one matter, but getting the unabridged version is quite another thing.  The certificate I have submitted has my name, the names of my parents, date and place of birth.  Do CPAM need any more information than that?

I would be very grateful for any help!

Thank you, Sunday Driver, as much as I feared then... They have come back to me asking for the "integral" version, even though the one I supplied was pretty good.  Off to search for a certified translator then.  I am learning to be very patient indeed. [:)]