tarif longue duree in hospital

Has anyone heard of a "tarif longue durée" in a public hospital?  My 75-year old friend (English but long-term resident) who has been in hospital in Paris for several weeks following a bad fall is much distressed because the hospital now says she will have to pay a "tarif longue duree" of around 3000 euros a month, and will have to pay about half of this amount from her own pocket.  She has social security and a mutelle.  I have sent her a paper print-out of the information I found on www.ameli.fr.  According to the ameli site hospital care is covered at 100% of the tarif conventionné from the 31st day onwards. I'm stuck in England and can only speak to her on the phone.  I have asked her to ask the hospital to quote the relevant regulations to her so that I can look them up on the Internet, but they haven't done so yet.  She is in hospital, not in an old people's home, so I just don't understand what is happening.

Many thanks to anyone who has any information about this. Janet

Your first step is to check her mutuelle policy.  Phone up the company and get them  to help you - that's what they are for.  Unless she has a very restricted policy then they should cover any additional costs - what percentage of the tarrif conventione does her policy cover?  Sorry I don't know anything about a special tarrif for long stay patients - I was in hospital/rehab for eight months and CMU and my mutuelle covered the lot (I have a 300% policy). The tarrif certainly didn't go up at any time for  a long stay . 

You'll have to wait for somebody else to come along with an explanation - it's a new one on me.

Bon courage.

I was under the impression that the daily hospital charge (currently 18 €) is waived after the 31st day of hospitalisation (i.e. only 31 days are payable).

Could it be that the hospital or the doctor following your friend is not conventionné,

i.e. they set their own tariff and the French health service reimburses

a basic cost, leaving a huge difference only partly covered by the

mutuelle?

However, the monthly charge of 3000€ you indicate would point to your friend being treated as if in a private nursing home equivalent, rather than a hospital.

Ref http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/F200.xhtml (translation).

http://www.ameli.fr/assures/soins-et-remboursements/combien-serez-vous-rembourse/hospitalisation/votre-sejour-a-l-8217-hopital.php (translation)

Thanks to both of you.  She has now been told in writing that social security will cover 2011 euros a month, and she has written to her mutuelle to inquire how much they will cover of the rest.  No reply yet, everyone uses les vacances as an excuse.  It sounds to me as if she may end up paying a few hundred euros a month, but not a frightening 1,500.

For Clair, everyone pays the forfait hospitalier, no matter how long they spend as an in-patient.  Also, patients may be charged extra for television, telephone, etc. I don't think anyone can quarrel with that. Thanks for the website references. I didn't know about the vos droits site.

janet 

[quote user="Damad"]For Clair, everyone pays the forfait hospitalier, no matter how long they spend as an in-patient. [/quote]

[quote] CAS PARTICULIERS > CAS PARTICULIERS

Intervention chirurgicale importante, séjour de plus de 30 jours, affection de longue durée*, accident du travail, maladie professionnelle, grossesse, bénéfciaire de la CMU… : vos frais d’hospitalisation peuvent être pris en charge à 100%, dans la limite des tarifs de la Sécurité sociale. Renseignez-vous auprès de votre caisse d’Assurance Maladie

source[/quote]