Natural childbirth choices

Sharon

I have just found out I am expecting our second child and want to give birth over here. I'd really like to speak to someone - in English preferably - who knows not only about the French maternity system (I've read all the threads on this forum about having a baby in France and have quite a bit of www literature on the subject) but how to avoid the typical institionalised path that the 'system' wants women to go down.

My last birth was at home (in the UK) so I'm used to putting up a bit of a fight to get my way! For example, I'd like to know what my minimum legal obligations are in terms of ante-natal tests/exams, how this affects maternity pay (I read somewhere that you need to prove you have attended your first four monthly ante-natal tests in order to even qualify for it), home birth protocol, the birth clinic due to be opening in Montpellier (if anyone has any info on this I'd be particularly grateful to hear about it as I gather there are political reasons preventing the place from opening even though it's been ready to go for a while)... as I understand, French women are encouraged if not obliged to undergo a battery of ante-natal tests, examinations and doc/gyno visits - much more than in the UK - and I'd rather avoid the majority if I can.

Any help or advice VERY gratefully appreciated.

LAST EDITED ON 13-Mar-02 AT 08:47 PM (GMT)

Sorry about that.

I have never heard of anyone having their baby at home here, or having any sort of alternative birth technique used in any way.

I had too many problems during my pregnancies to contemplate other than having the full ressources of a hospital around me when both my sons were born. And yes, we do get lots of ante natal checking done here. Frankly I needed it.

However no ante natal classes were ever suggested to me at all....... I learned to bath my first son with the aid of the Marks and Spencers Baby book.

My wife is in her third month of pregnancy and we have been making enquiries about natural childbirth facilities here in Brittany.
The initial response is not very comforting, but it's early days.
It would appear that to be eligible for the full refund of medical ex's it will be necesssary to make regular appointments for checkups.